Why I Won't Participate In The National Day Of Prayer

Robert Gutleben

There is no doubt that Jesus was/is transreligious and nonprejudiced. Regarding various groups and individuals, he found great faith and spirituality in the lives of a Roman Centurion, a pagan woman, a Samaritan, women, men, and every kind of marginalized person in existence (ref. Mat. 25:31ff). The major proponents of the National Day of Prayer are outspoken in there contempt of other world religions, people who are gay/lesbian, abortian rights, evolution, not to mention the right to be a free thinking individual. For the most part these "prayer warriors" are fundamentalist evangelicals, committed establishing institutions of power in this world. If this were not true, why attempt to get the Federal Government to make their prayer day a "National" day, why try to pass laws on who can't get married, what can and can not be taught in public schools, etc.? Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36). The kingdom, first of all, is a place where people do not boast about any kind of religious superiority. Rather, Jesus said, "blessed are the poorin spirit, for their's is the kinddom of heaven." The kingdom is found in the soul of those who humble themselves, and accept that they are far for having a corner on God's kingdom.

What are the proponents of the NDP wanting everyone to pray for? World peace? An end of oppression for all people everywhere? More respect for people of all faiths, and those who choose not to live by faith? More love for our neighbors (what if he or she is Hindu, what if it's a gay or lesbien person needing some simple respect and acceptance from their neighbor?).

When the day comes that paryer is for the heaing of the world, and not an excercise of sectarian muscle, I will participate. But wait! That day is now! Each one of us can at any time, all the time, time and time again, pray for people to become a little more compassionate, respectful of others, trusting that God is able to help each and every one on a spritual journey to find their way. We can be humble enough to accept that if God is able to love us, God is able to love anyone, everyone. Then we can try to live consistantly with what we pray for.

There is no doubt that Jesus was/is transreligious and nonprejudiced. Regarding various groups and individuals, he found great faith and spirituality in the lives of a Roman Centurion, a pagan woman, a Samaritan, women, men, and every kind of marginalized person in existence (ref. Mat. 25:31ff). The major proponents of the National Day of Prayer are outspoken in there contempt of other world religions, people who are gay/lesbian, abortian rights, evolution, not to mention the right to be a free thinking individual. For the most part these "prayer warriors" are fundamentalist evangelicals, committed establishing institutions of power in this world. If this were not true, why attempt to get the Federal Government to make their prayer day a "National" day, why try to pass laws on who can't get married, what can and can not be taught in public schools, etc.? Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36). The kingdom, first of all, is a place where people do not boast about any kind of religious superiority. Rather, Jesus said, "blessed are the poorin spirit, for their's is the kinddom of heaven." The kingdom is found in the soul of those who humble themselves, and accept that they are far for having a corner on God's kingdom.

What are the proponents of the NDP wanting everyone to pray for? World peace? An end of oppression for all people everywhere? More respect for people of all faiths, and those who choose not to live by faith? More love for our neighbors (what if he or she is Hindu, what if it's a gay or lesbien person needing some simple respect and acceptance from their neighbor?).

When the day comes that paryer is for the heaing of the world, and not an excercise of sectarian muscle, I will participate. But wait! That day is now! Each one of us can at any time, all the time, time and time again, pray for people to become a little more compassionate, respectful of others, trusting that God is able to help each and every one on a spritual journey to find their way. We can be humble enough to accept that if God is able to love us, God is able to love anyone, everyone. Then we can try to live consistantly with what we pray for.

I like your post Robert!

Sometimes I think that instead of being part of a group based on the name of the God, we (I'm speaking of people in general) would do better to just call God "Love." My God is Love. (Even though there will always be people who need to pidgeonhole others in order to judge them.)

I say this because I've seen webpages of "Christians" who say that their Lord and Saviour is Jesus Christ, and just below it, they say, "but I'm still keeping my gun because it's my right and I'll use it if I have to!!" It scares me to see how Jesus can be so quickly placed side by side with violence and hate!

Just my rant today!

Blessings,

Brian

I like your post Robert!

Sometimes I think that instead of being part of a group based on the name of the God, we (I'm speaking of people in general) would do better to just call God "Love." My God is Love. (Even though there will always be people who need to pidgeonhole others in order to judge them.)

I say this because I've seen webpages of "Christians" who say that their Lord and Saviour is Jesus Christ, and just below it, they say, "but I'm still keeping my gun because it's my right and I'll use it if I have to!!" It scares me to see how Jesus can be so quickly placed side by side with violence and hate!

Just my rant today!

Blessings,

Brian

Spong talks about why there is hate in the name of God.

steve

Political conversations about separation of church and state, comments about those who do not separate church and gun, are all well and good but the person who observes that one can pray anytime, and "in all things" cannot avoid participating in the National Day of Prayer. It is a matter what you will pray not whether you will pray.

Dutch

I think Jesus says it best in Matthew chapter 6

‘And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. 6But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.*

Archived