Favorite Music

• 3 weeks later...

Two more ideas:

"The Motions" by Matthew West and "The One Thing" by Paul Coleman.

"The One Thing" starts with "Here I am in a river of questions. Can I pour my heart out to a listening ear?" and says "the one thing I don't question is You. You really love me like you say you do." Perfect for TCPC!

"The Motions" is a call to feel God's passion to help us fight through the nothingness of life, which is why so many are seeking here. Feeling like there's something more...

Let's keep sharing!

Janet

Bruce Cockburn is recommended by Bruce Sanguin in this weeks blog --

http://ifdarwinprayed.com/

I dont know the songs from Big Circumstance but have heard a couple of his early ones, like Wondering where the lions are. Maybe something of his might lend itself. good luck!

:)

Edited by rivanna

• 3 weeks later...

Another good PC-themed song I would like to add to my list is this song God Help The Outcasts from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKPEDjUhRO4 I love the part where Esmeralda sings "I thought we all were the children of God" which I think is a beautiful reminder that Jesus' message was one of inclusion and not exclusion and the gospel was meant for everybody, not a social club for the elites of society.

• 1 month later...

Another good PC-themed song I would like to add to my list is this song God Help The Outcasts from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame. Link Deleted - No Longer Available - JosephM (as Moderator) 09/13/2011

I love the part where Esmeralda sings "I thought we all were the children of God" which I think is a beautiful reminder that Jesus' message was one of inclusion and not exclusion and the gospel was meant for everybody, not a social club for the elites of society.

Oh, I like this one! I'd not heard it before, but I think it just joined my list of favorites! thanks, Neon!

I have too many to list, lol! Different songs for different occasions, situations, moods.....John Lennon's "Imagine," yes, definitely there. But then, just a lot of songs from the classic folk era of the 60's and 70's...Bob Dylan, so many of his had an elemental message...even Peter, Paul, and Mary, Odetta....a generation of true prophets for those with ears to hear, I believe......and one especially relevant to my own most personal level faith, "You raise me up..."...

Jenell

• 3 months later...

One artist whose music is very special to me is Dwain Briggs...I first encountered him by chance when he was a guest at services I attended at St. John's Retreat in Montgomery, Tx, some years ago...this man's voice is incredible, and his "presence" in person is absolutely "luminous", that's the only word I can find that comes even close...if you EVER have a chance to see him in live performance, don't miss it, it will be a deeply moving spiritual experience.

I have several of his CD's, among the most deeply spiritually moving--dare I say transcendant? music I have in my collection...However, he has kept his music under very tight control, I've never found a place on the web where you can just listen to it..no UTube videos on this one!

I am going to share a website where you can listen to "samples" of 4 of his songs, not the complete songs, but enough to perhaps get a sense of what he is about...

Jenell

http://carmeltemple.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113:briggs-dwain&catid=39:speaker-bios&Itemid=73

However, he keeps his music under very tight control, and I've never been abletofind any place on the web you can listen to it..no UTube video'son thiis guy!

Janet, yes the words, it is very much for me the words in his songs, as well as his incredible voice, that have made his music so meaningful for me. When I used 'transcendant' in my post to describe it, I didn't add, his cds are among the few in my music collection I make use of when I do want to meditate deeply, enter a deep prayerful, or connnected state....the affect me so quickly and deeply, I cannot play them at all simply for easy listening while doing other things...I wind up not caring whether dishes get done or not! Lol!

Gentle Arms of Eden by Dave Carter and Tracy Grammar

more of a kids song about evolution and ecology. Kids left singing the chorus after one time through.

This is my home

This is my only home

This is the only sacred ground that I have

ever known

And should I stray

In the dark night alone

Rock me Goddess in the gentle arms of

Eden

Edited by glintofpewter
to add link

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just joined today an again will say I am so happy to have found this concept of Christianity. I had always felt a strong attraction to Christ but.....well you know the rest.

I was looking at another post that was about the music that relates what we are all about hear, as progressive Christians.

In any case, I have a band and song in mind that I think might be very interesting to discuss.

Firstly let me say that Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer has always been very controversial in his subject matter. Often his music is a reflection of the human condition and typically expressed by whatever particular platform he chose in the specific song. This includes a song that appears to be bashing Jesus. Which isn't the song this post is about but make no mistake it was a song that was actually inspired by the same "fundamentalist" behaviors humans for millennium have found "security" in. This security inspired by fear and blind in "gang mentality" or what Spong calls "tribal God".

Hear we go......

the song...Lateralus, by: Tool

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.

Red and yellow then came to be,

reaching out to me, lets me see.

As below so above and beyond I imagine,

drawn beyond the lines of reason.

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

******** Indeed when we look at all of humanity it appears as though the longer we are around the more we lean towards color. "as I would hope, though at times seems not the case"

In other words the infantile black and white perceptions, or insistence upon absolutes has been the source of so much death and destruction in this world! It always requires an individual or group to "push the envelope" before any change or growth happens. *******

Over thinking, over analyzing,

separates the body from the mind.

Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must

feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

*********** It seems another human liability is that we spend a whole lot more time thinking about, then doing or being about things. We become almost dead to the world as we are in the prison of our mind.

Isolated and alone more often then not fear is spawned and we all know where that goes. You cant fully be in any moment of relation if you are to busy trying to figure out you response to the relation.

If we could shut the mind up we might actually hear the message and be better position to to seize the "opportunity" to be of assistance anyway. This becomes a sort of intuition. *******

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.

Red and yellow then came to be,

reaching out to me, lets me see.

There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,

infinite possibilities.

As below so above and beyond I imagine,

drawn outside the lines of reason.

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

****** Hear I'm sure we can all relate. How many of us have felt like "There is so much more and it beckons me to look though to these,

infinite possibilities." ​Or persecuted for asking, this I believe is a strong influence that drives the paridime shift now happening in the world of the spiritual, once known as religiousness. *******

Over thinking, over analyzing,

separates the body from the mind.

Withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.

Reaching out to embrace the random.

Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

******** WOOOWWW... How much courage does it take to cross a line others have drawn and to embrace the unknown. Imagine that. Tribal God or religion and the gang mentality was a response to fear of the unknown. It has always been very difficult for humans to embrace the unknown hasn't it? Indeed I say it has been for me! So we see how many tribes have found there security in defining the undefinable and then adopting an us against them attitude to anything that challenges there security. *******

I embrace my desire to...

I embrace my desire to...

feel the rhythm,

to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow,

to feel inspired,

to fathom the power,

to witness the beauty,

to bathe in the fountain,

to swing on the spiral,

to swing on the spiral,

to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

******** At this part of the song the mood shifts from frustration or longing, to uplifting and fulfillment. What beauty in these words. First off, is the fact that the purest aspect of any religion "of the creative nature" is certain timeless and universal principles. Always at the root are principles like: honesty, compassion, empathy, selflessness etc..... So one must view these lyric in that context. Funny thing about that is

These are the very sort of lyric that the church of old would have dubbed as heresy. "embrace your desire" WHAT!! Blasphemer!! Yes to embrace our longing for fulfillment, our curious nature would have been a reckless notion to the church of old. It goes on to state such magic as to be able to "step aside" from self that we be free to weep like a widow. "To feel inspired" or in spirit. To witness the beauty, and what must happen in order for us to truly wittnes anything. We must step aside from ourselves, out of the prison of the mind. It is then that we can truly see. All of these things are at the core of any spiritual masters message and that of the Christ.

At this point I will leave you to freely interpret the rest of the lyric's but know at this point the moode becomes one of revelotion a sort of breaking free from the chains of the past, a sort of uplifting but that of a rocket ship blasting forward!! oh and did you catch the fountain reference??? "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. John 4:5-14******

With my feet upon the ground,

I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.

I feel it move across my skin.

I'm reaching up and reaching out.

I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me,

whatever will bewilder me.

And following our will and wind,

we may just go where no one's been.

We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going.

Spiral out. Keep going.

Spiral out. Keep going.

Spiral out. Keep going.

Edited by Daniel Lezcano

Thanks for sharing that Daniel.

I often find more wisdom in the lyrics and visual work of artists than a week of Sundays. Prob'ly why I no longer go to Meetin'

Run and tell all of the angels

This could take all night

Think I need a devil to help me get things right

Hook me up a new revolution

Cause this one is a lie

We sat around laughing and watched the last one die

I'm looking to the sky to save me

Looking for a sign of life

Looking for something to help me burn out bright

I'm looking for a complication

Looking cause I'm tired of trying

Make my way back home when I learn to fly high

I think I'm done nursing the patience

It can wait one night

I'd give it all away if you give me one last try

We'll live happily ever trapped if you just save my life

Run and tell the angels that everything's alright

I'm looking to the sky to save me. . .

-Learn to Fly, Foo Fighters

NORM

• 2 months later...

This is a great thread and will provide some resources for myself and the congregation at Unity of Melbourne.

A couple of suggestions that might be useful to others here are

• Daniel Nahmod's songs. One I really like is When I Pray. There are several performances of this on You Tube.
  • Songs from Agape. The Agape International Spiritual Center is a Religious Science based centre in LA. Some of their songs are great for congrgational singing, others are more suited to a choir. A good selection is in the double CD + DVD + Songbook set Agape Chants Collection which can be purchased from Agape's Quiet Mind Bookstore. You can also check out the wrok of their musical director, Ricky Byars Beckwith, on
    for a taster if you are not familiar with it.

—Jim

I have jus been typing out a song for our service tomorrow. Called New Age Vision it is a case of turning swords to ploughshares: it is sung to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic. You might also find some more of interest in the Unity book, Wings of Song. It's a fairly old book and I don't like everything in it, but there are some gems.

New Age Vision

Mine eyes have seen the coming

Of an age that is to be,

When from every limitation

I shall know that I am free;

For the age is rich in promise

And my soul has eyes to see

God’s Truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Halelelujah!

God’s Truth is marching on.