Your Age Group & Interests

BeachOfEden

"Welcome ONMYWAY. Glad to have a Progressive Catholic. They need a voice here as well! My hope is that we would have at least 1 Progressive Christian from each and every Judeo-Christian faith group..to counter the far right view. PS. We may have a Progressive Christian whi is XSBC joining us soon...that i met on MySoace..we'll see. " .........BeachOfEden

Well hopefully that Progressive Christian you are talking about will join all of us here. You are right, it is so important that we as Progressive Christians gather in numbers and, especially prior to the election year of 2008, somehow convince this country that we have a very necessary say in matters that are moral and ethical in nature.

ONMYWAY

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm female, 43 y/o, and married with one grown son. My interests are music, mostly classic rock Led Zeppelin, Traffic, Cream, etc. but like newer stuff as well. I like to read also, but caring for my elderly father doesnt leave much time for that lately. Also all things paranormal. I'm glad to have found this site! I really don't consider myself any one religion, although I have a certain fondness for Wicca and the Goddess. I was raised in Protestant denominations, mostly Church of Christ (not UCC), and vaguely remember as a small tot being taken to an Alliance Church, never heard of one since, though. I live in Mobile, Alabama, and as far as I can tell the churches here are decidedly NOT progressive. I am new to this site, having just joined today, and guess I want to give Christianity one last try, so to speak.

Welcome Blinky - you remind me of Anne Lamott. She relates a "conversion experience" - feeling Jesus in the room and saying, Not THAT! ANYTHING but that!

The best I came up with a few years ago is: just because idiots do it doesn't mean it is idiotic. :P

Hopefully the boards will pick up... it can be very refreshing here!

Guest admin

I BEG you all to put this wonderful info in your PROFILES if you have not already! It really helps people get to know each other and feel more a part of this excellent little community if you share some basic info there - where you are from, your birthday (it appears on the main page on the big day so we get to wish you a happy birthday), your interests, etc.

Do it now! On the top of the page, click on "my controls" and then on "edit profile."

;)

Guest admin
I tried to leave the year out. It wouldn't let me.

Sorry.

--des

If you do not want to share your age, just make up a year to put in. When it is "announced" on the front page on the big day, it just says that it is your birthday, not how old or what year... ;)

"I BEG you all to put this wonderful info in your PROFILES if you have not already! It really helps people get to know each other and feel more a part of this excellent little community if you share some basic info there - where you are from, your birthday (it appears on the main page on the big day so we get to wish you a happy birthday), your interests, etc.

Do it now! On the top of the page, click on "my controls" and then on "edit profile.".."

Yes, please, everyone fill out your profiles. When I first joined here and filled my out I noted that hardly anyone else took the time to fill out the profiles.:)

Hi everyone,

31yo married gal here from Duluth, GA (home of the "Runaway Bride" :rolleyes:). No kids yet, but we do have two lovely basset hound mixes named Zoë and Piper. I'm the office manager of a CPA firm and my husband is in IT.

Intrests include music, reading, cooking, needlework and other types of crafty things, team trivia and watching movies.

I was raised baptist, but since I graduated high school and went to college I've been looking for something that agrees more with my spiritual sensibilities I suppose. I've dipped my toes into numerous spiritual paths but it seems I always keep coming back to christianity in one form or another. Right now I sporadically attend a UU Congregation which has recently started a Christian Fellowship group and I'm VERY excited. I was looking for resources for our group and that's how I ended up here.

Anyway, I think that's all for now. I look forward to more of the wonderfully insightful posts that I have read here already (and maybe chime in from time to time).

Now I'm going to finish filling out my profile. :P

>31yo married gal here from Duluth, GA (home of the "Runaway Bride" ). No kids yet, but we do have two lovely basset hound mixes named Zoë and Piper. I'm the office manager of a CPA firm and my husband is in IT.

Hi and welcome! :-)

I suppose you being in Duluth GA (home of the Runaway Bride)and me in Albuquerque (destination of the Runaway Bride) gives a connection somehow. :-)

--des

• 2 months later...

35, female, married, just finished my teaching credential, hoping to *soon* be employed as a contract teacher (have been subbing forever!) Live in the Inland Empire in Southern California. Interests? Reading, internet forums, made my first quilt this summer (and possibly last!) and am trying to learn to knit, but not very actively.

25, male, teacher, living in the UK.

Love music - used to love hiphop but interests now vary

Love football (or soccer) - Sheffield Wednesday FC

Starting to love cricket

Enjoy reading all sorts - current reading TRUE TALES OF AMERICAN LIFE by Paul Auster

I also enjoy running and eating!

Hi! I am a 33 year old male single from Melbourne, Australia. I have posted here a few times (not that many) but not for a while as I've been busy working and studying, so I haven't had much time. Hopefully I can get back into a bit more now.

I teach music (am a classical guitar player) and study theology. I have a Roman Catholic background, though for a period of time did spend some of it in a Pentecostal AOG church and then in Presbyterian church. The last few years i have been influenced by Process thought. I guess you could say I hold to process theism. I reject theistic supernaturalism and favour theistic naturalism.

I love my sport, especially Aussie Rules Football.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

My name is Carl. I have been a member of TCPC for about 5 years or so, but have just discovered this forum. I have enjoyed reading thru the old posts and thought I would introduce myself.

Hobbies: Gardening, Sailing, Cooking, Amateur (ham) radio, The Chicago Cubs, Amateur Art collector - about to get a golden retriever.

Profession: United Methodist Pastor - Chair of District Mission Committee

Music: Irish Folk Music & classical

Interests: Social Justice issues such as; Worker's Rights, GLBT persons and the Church, Racial and Gender equality issues.

Background:

I grew up in Metro-Detroit in a working class family as a member of a United Church of Christ congregation in the heart of Detroit. As a teenager I became attracted to The Salvation Army because of their unique social gospel ministries. I became a member of The Salvation Army and entered vocational ministry in that denomination. I graduated from The Salvation Army's seminary in Chicago. It didn't take me long to realize that I was not a good fit theologically in that denomination. After a big fight with my divisional leaders about what I believed to be the unfair treatment of their employees, I resigned and was going to return to the UCC. At that time a United Methodist friend of mine asked me to meet with his District Superintendnat and discuss serving a UM church. I did and here I am. :)

Welcome Carl :)

Ok, this is off topic, but I heard a cute joke yesterday...

A teacher asks the students to bring in something pertinent to their faith.

#1: I'm Jewish and this is a Star of David

T: Very good.

#2: I'm Catholic and this is a Rosary.

T: excellent choice.

#3: I'm Methodist and this is a casserole..... :lol:

Hi all --

I started posting here some time last year but I've never introduced myself on this thread! Haven't been around for a while either -- so many neat forums, so little time . . . B)

I live in San Marcos, Ca -- near San Diego. Just turned 45, married with two cats (Kali and Harpo). I write and edit for a local educational publisher.

I'm a catholic (I like the little "c" because it implies universalism) who was raised Roman Catholic and who attends Roman Catholic churches. Rejected and abandoned my faith and anything having to do with institutional religion from high school through my early thirties, but underneath it all, still had a spiritual hunger. In my thirties I started reading here and there about world religions, dabbled a bit in Buddhism and paganism, started meditating, then had a mystical experience in a Roman Catholic church in New Orleans that encouraged me to return to my spiritual roots. (Also had been reading several books -- Thich Nhat Hanh's Living Buddha, Living Christ was one -- that spoke of the need to honor one's religious roots).

Interests include: mysticism, contemplative prayer, world religions, interspirituality, interfaith dialogue, integral philosophy (a la Ken Wilber). Walking / hiking. And chocolate. And, okay: Desperate Housewives.

I'm a member of FaithfulAmerica.org, the Network of Spiritual Progressives (started by Rabbi Michael Lerner's Tikkun community), and Contemplative Outreach, an organization started by Father Thomas Keating that practices and teaches Centering Prayer. I facilitate a Centering Prayer group in San Diego.

I enjoy all kinds of music, from mainstream rock to Gregorian and Taize chant, ska-jazz, salsa, funk, grunge, harp with flute, Celtic, reggae, zydeco, Putumayo world beat offerings . . .

I enjoy reading about world religions and mysticism. Right now I'm reading Lex Hixon's Coming Home: The Experience of Enlightenment in Sacred Traditions. Excellent, inspired work!

Okay, I guess 7 paragraphs about me is enough!

Thanks for listening and I'm enjoying meeting you all!

curlytop

:)