World Without Money

MOW

I remember that someone on the board said that money makes things so complicated. In light of the current "financial crises" do you think a world without money is even possible, or is it just too late?

MOW

Mow,

It seems to me there will always be 'money' of some sort as a convenient exchange for trade. Whether it is shells, food, gold, silver or something else limited and of perceived value, who can say. As long as we live in a world of form it seems to me there will be a form of money.

Joseph

Mow,

As long as we live in a world of form it seems to me there will be a form of money.

Joseph

Very well said. Money is our way of benchmarking our achievements in the physical world. We live in a global economy, thus, barter systems and other means of localized trade are no longer applicable.

Money is a way of guaging our position on the 'materialistic highway' of life. It is just a convenient way to track individual, physical progress. We will always have a money system.

Pure equality of all in the physical world is not humanly possible if we rely soley on our physical self. God has given each of us unique talents and skills and the ability to compete with each other for limited resources. Our built in free will is what drives us to be better than the next guy, and unfortunately, results in people taking advantage of others.

I think humanity puts little effort to advance along the 'spiritual highway' of life because we don't have a convenient way to track our progress in that realm. It is individualistic, and thus, is not comparitive to others by a spiritual money system. It is not man-made, as is our physical world, and thus, is far more complex to make advancement. Furthermore, I cannot take advantage of your spiritual progress in order to advance my own.

Pure equality will only be achieved if humanity will temper physical advancement with spiritual advancement. Because our world is so focused on physical advancement, this utopian idea is not going to happen anytime soon.

Alan

Something that is used for exchange is necessary in our society/world because we are not all the same. We do not have all the same abilities. So while I can teach a child I can not fix a car. So because of our uniqueness, we require money (or something to trade) to have our needs met. The problem is not money in and of itself. The problem (as one woman stated it to me so concisely last night) is greed. And even without money (which is abstract) greed would still exist and still cause problems.

Archived