Vegetarianism

MOW

I want to say at the outset that I am NOT a vegetarian but was curious if any one else here is. Two of my relatives recently became vegetarians and swear by it. Curiously I have two friends who are the exact opposite. I guess you would call them carnivores. One is a musician who does not eat any vegetables at all. The other is an older man who used to go to my church. He said as soon as he left his mother's house he stopped eating vegetables. I basically just try to eat variety of things ("temperence in all things").

Anybody here a vegetarian?

MOW

Edited by MOW

I have been a vegetarian, but at the moment I am a person who eats a lot of wheat and dairy and nut products, with the occasional meal of chicken, beef, or pork. I'm not fond of fish, and I don't like vegetables all that much. But I love fruit, and eat a lot of fruit. Fresh Ontario strawberries are in season right now. Yum.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. My wife and two sons are not vegetarian. We all have different life styles and need different foods to fuel that life style. I have physical, mental and spiritual reasons for being a vegetarian, which would you like me to elaborate on.

I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. My wife and two sons are not vegetarian. We all have different life styles and need different foods to fuel that life style. I have physical, mental and spiritual reasons for being a vegetarian, which would you like me to elaborate on.

You can elaborate on all three

MOW

Edited by MOW

physical I first was attracted to vegetarian life style because my major was Biology. I looked at our intestines which are very long and found that the herbivores intestines were long while the carnivores had short intestines. This is so the meat can exit quickly without causing constipation. Our molars are great for grinding grains, nuts and seeds.

mental It was hard for 3 years because I liked the full feeling meat gave me after eating. I played football so enjoyed the protein, aggression and full feeling. Eventually I liked the light headedness of the vegetarian diet. I became more sensitive and mentally alert. Less agitated and more conscious.

spiritual My meditation is sharper and easier to get into the state of witness.

If someone is interested in a vegetarian diet, I would advise research so you get a complete protein and the nutrients one needs to survive.

The life style has served me well. I am 60 years old, play basketball twice a weak with 20, 30 and 40 year olds, lift weights everyday, no major physical problems and mentally relaxed. I think it has helped me grow in spiritual peace.

I do not eat meat, fish or eggs, but I realize it is not for everyone and the same spiritual heights can be obtained in a different life style.

Good luck in your choices.

• 7 years later...

I was also wondering this question. I realise this is an old post, so was just wondering if there are any more vegetarians on this forum now?

Thanks for sharing Soma. I am vegetatian for similar reasons. I was 8 or 9 when I first attempted it, but I began eating meat again on and off. It's never felt right to me when I ate meat. I don't ever see myself going back now :)

Edited by UnitedLove

About 1.5 years ago I decided to go vegan, only to back it off to a more 'pescatarian' diet - i.e. I eat mainly vegetarian and some seafood. I also eat eggs and dairy (although I'd like to learn to skip dairy too).

I eat this way because I think meat is less healthy and because I no longer wanted to participate in what I see as animal cruelty and exploitation. I did start out with a bit of an evangelical fervour, but have pared that back to being what I think is now a relatively normal person! :)

Paul

Good point, Romansh,

I went to a food truck once for a delicious cheese burger. The sign on the side said "Our cows are vegetarian, so you don't have to be!" Apparently vegetarians have little compassion for "vegetation". It's always been a personal choice, and not particularly a "spiritual" one if you consider the nature of our existence and how we must survive. Some creatures just don't do well on a vegetarian diet.

Steve