Grampawombat

grampawombat

I joined this group about three years ago, but at that time Beliefnet was much easier to navigate, so I didn't come back here. Now B'net is every bit as complicated as this or moreso, and has been sold off to the Murdoch publishing empire, so here I am and will probably stay.

I am 72, married 47 years, with three children and eight grandchildren. I like the look of wombats, though I can't say for sure that I have actually seen a live one. I was born Episcopal, married Presbyterian, retired U U for a short time, then UCC, and now that we have moved to Ann Arbor, we (my wife and I) are Presbyterians again. We belong to a More Light congregation (equality in membership and participation without discriminating on the basis of gender orientation and so on), that also emphasizes peacemaking and social justice. So we are happy here, though the denomination (PCUSA), Protestantism, and Christianity in general vex me from time to time.

I worked as a microwave engineer for about 38 years and have been retired for almost 10. In the 1980s I did part-time graduate work in sociology of religion, thinking that perhaps I would teach in that area, but that didn't work out.

My beliefs have been influenced by liberation theology and process theology. I'm still working on my member profile here and hope to have a statement of my beliefs there sometime soon.

I joined this group about three years ago, but at that time Beliefnet was much easier to navigate, so I didn't come back here. Now B'net is every bit as complicated as this or moreso, and has been sold off to the Murdoch publishing empire, so here I am and will probably stay.

I am 72, married 47 years, with three children and eight grandchildren. I like the look of wombats, though I can't say for sure that I have actually seen a live one. I was born Episcopal, married Presbyterian, retired U U for a short time, then UCC, and now that we have moved to Ann Arbor, we (my wife and I) are Presbyterians again. We belong to a More Light congregation (equality in membership and participation without discriminating on the basis of gender orientation and so on), that also emphasizes peacemaking and social justice. So we are happy here, though the denomination (PCUSA), Protestantism, and Christianity in general vex me from time to time.

I worked as a microwave engineer for about 38 years and have been retired for almost 10. In the 1980s I did part-time graduate work in sociology of religion, thinking that perhaps I would teach in that area, but that didn't work out.

My beliefs have been influenced by liberation theology and process theology. I'm still working on my member profile here and hope to have a statement of my beliefs there sometime soon.

Welcome grampawombat! I thought your name looked familiar, I've probably seen you on Beliefnet (I don't really post there, but I occasionally wander over there to check out the discussion :lol: I too find it difficult to navigate, which is one reason why I don't post or visit there more often). I hope you'll enjoy it here, it's a great group of people! Though our discussion's been a bit futile lately...maybe you can help us with that ;)

-McKenna

Welcome back. I look forward to your posts here. I have had the experience of participating in the more light Presbyterian congregation in another great university town, Chapel Hill. I have also participated in a UCC "welcoming & affirming" congregation in another great university town, Amherst MA.

My current congregation (I'm a retired Presbyterian pastor) is not ready to be officially more light but is very open-minded and open-hearted and compassionate and involved in the community.

love, john + http://www.abundancetrek.com & http://www.abundancetrek.com/blog + "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Archived