Wine , Cork Or Screw Cap

MOW

This post is for any wine drinkers. I sometimes like to have a glass of wine in the evenings. Usually a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand or Argentina. Lately I've noticed that a lot of these wines come with a screw on cap rather than a cork top. I asked a clerk about this ,and he said for wines like that a cork is not necessary.

Do you prefer cork or screw caps for wine?

I've heard there are some enviromental issues associated with the screw caps.

MOW

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
When I drink it I prefer cork. Don't know why. I guess I figure it should taste better if someone took the time to put a cork in it! I also think the corks are kind of fun to collect though I haven't gotten far.

I saw an article online ,that said that even some French wine makers are considering screw caps for their wines. This is not just for enviromental issues but also to prevent "oxidation" , another way of saying the wine is "corked" whereupon the wine is no good and has to be thrown out.

MOW

I saw an article online ,that said that even some French wine makers are considering screw caps for their wines. This is not just for enviromental issues but also to prevent "oxidation" , another way of saying the wine is "corked" whereupon the wine is no good and has to be thrown out.

MOW

I don't drink but I seem to recall going to dinner with my father sometime in the past few months and the waiter telling us something similar...that many wine makers are replacing corks with screw caps in order to prevent the wine from "oxidation" I guess...but that's if I'm remembering correctly :)

Archived