Why I May Leave This Forum

mystictrek

With geat sadness I am considering departing from this forum. In so many ways the values of this forum and my values coincide. But the Administrator has a different understanding of forum behavior than I do. She believes my blog posts should not be offered here. I have tried to present blog posts which are pertinent to the goals of Progressive Christianity. I am careful to choose posts which are pertinent.

Blogging is an important part of my mission currently and I have wanted to share some of my posts with you and, yes, maybe get a few new readers. If my blog doesn't promote the 8 points of Progressive Christianity, I don't know what does. I like to think we are in a cooperative mission and linking to wisdom from other sources is very useful. Yes, I do get political more than some Progressive Christians. Gandhi said that religion without politics is a lie and I have always believed that.

I am currently feeling unwelcome here because I feel that I can not be who I am here anymore. I believe I may always wonder how the administrator will see my posts -- am I complying with the "rules." I may be way too sensitive but at my age that’s unlikely to change so I need to do what I need to do which is to take a break for now and maybe leave later or maybe get over these strong feelings and stay. I don’t know. I do know that I feel like I can not participate with the freedom I once thought was a given here. I’m still sorting out my feelings and thoughts and may come to a different conclusion. I don’t know.

I can spend my time and energy in other ways and will do so for now. I may return. Maybe I'm being immature. Maybe this is my ego talking and not the real me. I haven't sorted this out yet. Maybe you can help me sort this out. I do feel strongly and I hope you will respect my strong feelings on this if you do respond.

For a while, this is the only topic I will be looking at. Thanks for listening.

MT:

I too am sort of baffled by admin's position with regard to outside material. In the past I posted numerous articles to get conversations started here. We never had any "outside materials" comments back then from admin. but back then there was a much more active group of posters who have since left, or like me just check in from time to time in the hopes that things might pick up again.

I don't perticipate much here these days because IMO, TCPC is not really breaking new ground and there seems to be no sense that innovation in belief viewpoints is a priority with the powers that be. That sort of defeats the core meaning of "progressive" if ya know what I mean.

I've enjoyed what you had to say here and who knows, things may change for the better for both of us in surprising ways.

flow....

I request that you stay for I have grown, felt the spirit and have been enlightened from you post. I understand how you feel for I have been kicked off of many Christian forums for my ideas. The dream will manifest, I feel we have that same dream and ideal so it must be manifested even in the face of severe opposition. Any material resistance or conflicting condition blocking the way is unrepresentative because it is generated with thought; therefore, it can be erased by thought. The conditions surrounding us are created with precision according to our minds, disposition and conviction. Jesus is constantly teaching us that the indwelling power to manifest our goals is within our minds and souls. The administrator is growing too. There is always resistance before acceptance.

I feel other religions are also saying the same thing that Jesus said so I learn from their take on things too, a new perspective and insight into the spiritual truths. You bring that to this forum, an expansion of Christian thought that is inclusive, not exclusive. The spirit is everywhere so it is imperative for our minds to find it pointing the way in all we do, may it be science, politics, philosophy or debate. I hope you stay and I pay respect to the Divinity within you. May you share your wisdom and insights with us in any form your choose. I did not know you were being censored. Soma

Hi Soma:

Your thoughts are always so interesting and full of insight.

There is a tie that binds our hearts in kindred love. Are you listening MT?

Wouldn't it be great if kindred minds and hearts didn't need a message board ?

I think that was one of the things that Jesus planted and will sometime grow to fruition among us.

We are among the first to sense these possibilities.

flow.... B)

With geat sadness I am considering departing from this forum. In so many ways the values of this forum and my values coincide. But the Administrator has a different understanding of forum behavior than I do. She believes my blog posts should not be offered here. I have tried to present blog posts which are pertinent to the goals of Progressive Christianity. I am careful to choose posts which are pertinent.

(snip)

Hello mystictrek,

No need to leave..... I also enjoy reading your posts and POV. Perhaps you can find a happy medium and remain. Anyway..... I hope so.

Flowperson your post made me think that thought is the purest form of communication because words really can't express our thoughts so we can't really express to M what we want , but I am sure he feels our thoughts. I also visit here time to time to get charged, inspirored, and infused. To all on this thread we are not five sensory humans, but multidimensional so are ultra sensitive. The Lord has blessed his true aspirants with intuitive power that is not regarded in esteem as the knowledge of the five senses. I feel we can develope this grace or power by acting on it. We strengthen our intuition by acting on its hunches and following though on other hunches. Some are a test, some reverse direction and of course some lead in a totally new direction. We learn from our actions and grow from them whether they are good, bad, painful or blissful. What I like is that we support one another, are careful not to condemn and strive to be the best people we can be. The Lord is taking care of us in the concrete and abstract worlds. I at this time request for the administrator to express the motivations to limit discussion. We can all learn, grow and maybe come to an understanding. We are sensitive, but not weak because we will fight, argue, discuss and stretch our minds until our Lord speaks to us directly.

James, I hope you don't leave the forum as I do often enjoy your comments and find them thought provoking. However, I think I can attempt to explain a little more about the comment by the admin. as I think it was a valid one. I don't think it is a way of interacting on the forum that you do all the time and I don't think it is even really quoting articles.

Sometimes lately there have been statements made that are VERY hard to respond to without maybe making your own mini-essay. So what goes on is we have one little article (not necessarily a quoted one) followed by another one. I find it very difficult to interact with that. The interaction that does tend to get set up under the circumstances seems less like a several way conversation and more like several people talking, each giving a little speech followed by someone else's little speech. And that's what a blog is, in essence. It doesn't really draw anyone into the discussion but if they want to make their comments they are welcome to.

I think you can compare some conversations to see the dynamics involved:

The following are two recent threads:

http://tcpc.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1117 This is on mental illness and Jesus' ideas on it. There is a statement and some questions that seem easy to follow and participate in.

http://tcpc.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1176

This is about Guilt. It seems to be a little article about guilt. It doesn't really invite anyone else's ideas and isn't really easy to jump into.

http://tcpc.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=443

This is a very successful thread (some 100+ responses) that is quite intellectually heavy, yet still has a way of getting into the discussion. (Maybe easier for some than others. ;-)).

The blog-like posts often get few threads and almost never get off topic which I think is kind of a hallmark

of forum discussion.

I hope this clarifies a little, as I have tended to agree with the admins comments lately but wasn't sure what i was thinking specifically. I don't think you are the only one engaging in this.

BTW, a forum is the older form of internet discussion predating the blog by hundreds of years (in net time). :-) The forum actually predates a graphical interface. So I think some of us older participants are definitely more interested in this. I speak for myself re: older. :-)

HTH,

--des

I only wander by occassionally now too but I always enjoy your posts MT. I like your site too. I hope you'll stick around. I remember when this was an interesting and active forum and keeping hoping it will pick up again!

Same here. Sorry to see it so inactive lately, and sorry to see people leaving still.

Thanks for your support and encouragement everybody. I am still pondering what this is all about. There have been many good discussions here in the past but there are also many good discussions going on here right now. I am a believer in this movement and will support TCPC even if I leave this particular forum. I am going to increase my promotion of TCPC at my website and blog even if I leave this forum because I am so committed to the goals of TCPC and the important movement associated with TCPC.

I am going to increase my promotion of TCPC at my website and blog even if I leave this forum because I am so committed to the goals of TCPC and the important movement associated with TCPC.

I just did what I promised to do at my website and blog. TCPC is a vital part of the movement of the Holy Spirit to establish the new church for the new age which is creating the new, most holy, glorious, fantastic realm of abundance, joy, wisdom, beauty, love, truth, peace, justice and freedom.

I hope you don't go Mystictrek I have certaintly enjoyed your posts. I am a relative newcomer and don't know if I am part of the problem or not. I have definetly written some "articles" and some of them have definetly been political. As a newcomer, I looked around at what others were writing and jumped in there. I have started 'blogging' on Crossleft so maybe that will use up some of my need to "blog". I really don't know what is expected and I am thoroughly confused now. Admin had a post about "articles" and "blogging" and giving opinions. Okay I understand about blogging and articles but the opinions part I don't understand. Everyone is always giving their opinions, even on "The Points". "The Points ask questions and people give their "opinions". If no opinions are asked for, is it light wieght chitty chatty things that are wanted here? Nothing particulary controversial?

Someone please enlighten me on this.

Is being political a problem? I always assumed social justice was very much a part of Progressive Christianity and have been very political on this site. Was I wrong? Are there "rules" anywhere and I missed them? Mystictrek, were you actually contacted by the site administrator or did you read the post about "blogging" that admin recently posted? Peace

I think things have tended to be political at times. As long as everybody is respected I think that has generally been considered fine.

I think that what the admin. might have been talking about were the kind of soliquey type posts. I made

a recommendation for a meditation, reflection and prayer forum area. That would be a good place for such things. It would also be a good place for prayers of various sorts.

I actually think the 8 Point area are is a bit more blog-like. It would be different if you said, what do you think of Point one, say, "I have a problem with because of ..." Then someone else says, "Well that isn't such an issue with me, because..." and then you or someone else responds. I think actually that's where the

8 Point area started from. People started bringing up the 8 points and what they thought.

It might be good to read some older posts to get a flavor for forum type discussions. I think there is a difference. Perhaps you are just less familar with these, might come to like them, if you had a chance

to get the mode. (Just as I have gotten a bit more into blogs lately from reading them.)

Go thru the Debate section and just go backwards a bit. Read threads with many posts on them (over 50)-- not every post of course. You can get a nice feel for some back and forth.

I feel what the admin. did said was fair. Maybe at some point we'd have a blog here too. But it is good to preserve a somewhat more traditional mode of internet communication. If one person blogs, another will,

changing the character of the communication mode.

Mostly it is opinion but it is opinion in a gave and take manner. I would guess it *can* get chitter chattery

and silly as left to its own devices a thread can deteriote. However, the usually light Off Topic section is somewhat new.

--des

Okay Des, nicely said, I will take your advice

I'm going to amend things and say read some threads with more than 20 posts. Some of the longer ones

deteriote a bit more. ;-) Also if you like the idea of a section for meditation, reflection, prayer go add

on to my thread re: same topic in the Administration section. I think it is a good idea anyway.

:-)

--des

Thanks, Des. You have really helped clarify the point I was trying to make.

Ironically, I was trying to encourage discussion, not shut people down or drive them away ;)

Alas.

At any rate, of course, feel free to exerpt short bits of articles and then link to the full version in your post, and/or opine at will. That is, as you all have said, what this place is all about! I am looking into some semi-blog software that works with this forum that would give people a place to monologue a bit more when the need strikes, and/or I will set up a special area for it.

Anyway, feel free to email or PM me if I am still being obtuse :ph34r:

Love to all of you. I think you are a wonderful group... let me know how I can keep supporting you...

PS. One more quick thing - people are always saying that it seems more quiet or inactive here, but you might find it interesting that the number of posts going on the board has grown by HUGE leaps each year, as have our active members. Used to be just one or two people posting a lot, but now the posts are more evenly distributed. For such a niche interest, and for a board that is not actively moderated (as in, I don't really get involved in discussions, or try to start them, etc.), it is doing quite well. I am proud of you all ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am still here.

Joyeux Noel!

I am also still at a loss why Monica felt a need to challenge me on my posts in a personal message to me which is what got this all started. (Jim R asked about that. The answer is Yes.)

I have decided to continue to post as I have been posting with no change in my approach. I am who I am.

Monica and I had an exchange of personal messages which got us no where. I suppose she feels misunderstood by me and vice versa.

I will try to forgive and forget and move on.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest monica (formerly known as admin)
Well I am still here.

Joyeux Noel!

I am also still at a loss why Monica felt a need to challenge me on my posts in a personal message to me which is what got this all started. (Jim R asked about that. The answer is Yes.)

I have decided to continue to post as I have been posting with no change in my approach. I am who I am.

Monica and I had an exchange of personal messages which got us no where. I suppose she feels misunderstood by me and vice versa.

I will try to forgive and forget and move on.

Glad you're back! And I hope you do stay who you are - we appreciate who you are very much here. We just try to encourage people to avoid making extensive, blog-like posts. ;)

And I don't feel misunderstood by you at all. I can understand why you were confused - I wasn't very clear in my initial post.

At any rate, the important thing is that you are here, and will continue writing, which is, as I have said, much valued.

Best,

Archived