Sign in to follow this  
Jan

Looking For A Church In Texas

I am looking for a progressive church near McAllen, Texas. I have never been there but my husband and I are going to spend a couple of months there this winter. My church now is United Methodist, a very conservative United Methodist, so we hope to find a more progressive church while we are away. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. Jan

I did a quick Google search putting everything in quotes (otherwise it pulled up Church of Christ-- a wee

difference there), and got a hit for Disciples of Christ in McAllen. There is also a Lutheran ECLA church; You might check them out. They tend to be progressive.

Since this is a little town (I think). You might try doing this for various denominations like Presbyterian USA,

Congregational, United Church of Christ, Lutheran ECLA, etc. You might also go to the websites of these

churches.

Since you are in the South, I am guessing that the churches will all be relatively more conservative than they might be outside the South. You might be looking at something more mainline than really progressive, but who knows.

As we have discussed here, UCC and Congregational (often one in the same) are difficult as it is quite congregational and just depends on the congregation. I'm not sure about Disciples of Christ.

If you are so inclined you might look into Unitarian or something like Unity, etc.

--des

Edited by des

I did a quick Google search putting everything in quotes (otherwise it pulled up Church of Christ-- a wee

difference there), and got a hit for Disciples of Christ in McAllen. There is also a Lutheran ECLA church; You might check them out. They tend to be progressive.

Since this is a little town (I think). You might try doing this for various denominations like Presbyterian USA,

Congregational, United Church of Christ, Lutheran ECLA, etc. You might also go to the websites of these

churches.

Since you are in the South, I am guessing that the churches will all be relatively more conservative than they might be outside the South. You might be looking at something more mainline than really progressive, but who knows.

As we have discussed here, UCC and Congregational (often one in the same) are difficult as it is quite congregational and just depends on the congregation. I'm not sure about Disciples of Christ.

If you are so inclined you might look into Unitarian or something like Unity, etc.

--des

Pastors of Mainline Churches in Baton Rouge are progressive at meetings of the Greater Baton Rouge Federation of Churches and Synagogues. They are not too progressive at other times. I have just about given up on finding any congregation that will tolerate progressive Christians. I am close to joining the Unitarians.

Pastors of Mainline Churches in Baton Rouge are progressive at meetings of the Greater Baton Rouge Federation of Churches and Synagogues. They are not too progressive at other times. I have just about given up on finding any congregation that will tolerate progressive Christians. I am close to joining the Unitarians.
I have left my church and probably left all of them until I find one that is a bit open to working people.

Guest wayfarer2k
I have left my church and probably left all of them until I find one that is a bit open to working people.

I'd love to find a progressive church in Fort Worth...but we are in the bible-torniquet and almost everything down here is of a conservative, fundamentalist ilk. Even our Episcopalians are traditional in their theology.

I think I'll become a member of Spong's "Church Alumni Association". :lol:

Ok So i was looking over old posts and someone posted a link to fan fiction sotry that i read and fell in love with but now cant find.

i looked in the fan fiction section not there....

can anyone help?

Ok So i was looking over old posts and someone posted a link to fan fiction sotry that i read and fell in love with but now cant find.

i looked in the fan fiction section not there....

can anyone help?

Sorry, I could not locate anything using a search except your post. Perhaps someone else might remember it?

Joseph

Guest billmc

I'd love to find a progressive church in Fort Worth...

Since then, I have discovered that Fort Worth United Methodist Church has a progressive arm in that church. They have a service called 11:11 which is quite eclectic and focuses on both spirituality and making a difference in our world. Karen Armstrong has recently spoken at FWUMC about the "Charter for Compassion" and the 11:11 service is currently doing a 7-week study of how compassion is at the heart of the world's major religions.

I like their motto: "We will go out to be God's people in the world."

Their website:

http://www.fumcftw.org/