"reason In Ruins"

jerryb

While we doze-off spiritually and intellectually, our evangelically influenced government passes the most archaic laws imaginable. Meanwhile...we "people of faith' are busy deciding who is right and wrong about the nature of God.

Case in point: In 13 states,it is illegal for consenting adults to engage in oral or anal sex,but it is o.k.to jail people for decades for growing or selling marijuana,a naturally occuring substance...which by law, is denied to aids and cancer victims as relief for the terrible nausea associated with their illness. Something is wrong with this picture!

It's time spiritual people of all faiths steped up to the plate, and loudly declare,"We're mad as hell...and we're not going to take it anymore".

I just finished several chapters of the book'The End Of Faith' by Sam Harris,to whom I am indebted for the topic title of this post. I highly reccommend this book to every thinking,reasonable person.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this matter,

Jerryb

While we doze-off spiritually and intellectually, our evangelically influenced government passes the most archaic laws imaginable. Meanwhile...we "people of faith' are busy deciding who is right and wrong about the nature of God.

Case in point: In 13 states,it is illegal for consenting adults to engage in oral or anal sex,but it is o.k.to jail people for decades for growing or selling marijuana,a naturally occuring substance...which by law, is denied to aids and cancer victims as relief for the terrible nausea associated with their illness. Something is wrong with this picture!

It's time spiritual people of all faiths steped up to the plate, and loudly declare,"We're mad as hell...and we're not going to take it anymore".

I just finished several chapters of the book'The End Of Faith' by Sam Harris,to whom I am indebted for the topic title of this post. I highly reccommend this book to every thinking,reasonable person.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this matter,

Jerryb

I'm not quite sure your point. Obviously most states ignore those laws regarding sex (and it is time to take them off the books).

OTOH I wouldn't use Marijuana for a similar argument. There are many medications that can be used to combat nausea. A teacher I worked with had the flu and had been throwing up for over 24 hours. She went to the doctor, they gave her a shot (of what I'm not sure) but by the time she left she said she could feel the nausea going away.

I do think that some get more caught up in arguments that are irrelevant (how many angels can dance on the head of a pin) when they could be spending time combating things like global warming, AIDS, poverty, and the death penalty.

As for medical use of marijuana. True there are other drugs. All have their various side effects. For instance, anti-schizophrenia drugs (probably what the woman got in her injection) have a very strong anti-nausea effect. (There are others, maybe not so strong). They also have their various side effects, i wouldn't care for. But marijuana *does* have its medical uses, including appetite increase, anti-glaucoma, etc.etc. It also has side-effects. I wouldnt' necessarily want them, but they may be preferable to some other drugs, depending on the circumstances. (A little euphoria wouldn't hurt in the case of chemotherapy as it is usually a general depressant. but might be less desirable if you were a bus driver.)

--des

You're welcome. I guess I shoulda labeled it fyi. :-)

Jerry, I saw Sam Harris discuss "End of Faith" on Book TV (Cspan 2 on weekends).

He has some very interesting reasoned arguments. There was a whole discussion

about this which I started in this forum, oh I don't know maybe six months ago.

You might look it up. Another FYI I guess.

--des

Archived