6. How Might Our Understanding Of Who And What We

October's Autumn

I was tempted to continue arguing the point, but realized, it doesn't matter.

That has become my new mantra of late. I too have a tendency to lose sight of what's important when it comes to online discussions.

The question "What do we do?" is the important one. Do we bring Heaven to Earth or do we bring Hell to Earth?

Thanks, Russ,

and Aslans -- I like your icon, I remember the "buddy Christ" figure from Kevin Smith's movie "Dogma." Didn't like that one but thought "Chasing Amy" was his best.

It's good to see the different perspectives on this site, and the respect--when there's time I'd like to read more posts. It challenges me to re-think my own view.

• 4 months later...
Got to disagree Russ.

The divine status of Jesus was held and taught very early (check Paul's letters, the earliest of which was written within 20 years of the crucifixion then check the early Church Fathers). The same with the Trinity.

Divinity is not a special status for Jesus. Everything in the universe is divine from the most complex object to the simplest and from the greatest hero among us to the worst criminal. The only difference between the greatest heros and the worst criminals is that the criminals are dysfunctional personalities that never die and are in need of corrective love.

Why is everything divine? God could not have created it any other way! We have to stop thinking in terms of good and evil and start thinking in terms of a divine universe that has in many respects, become dysfuntional.

BobD

• 2 years later...
6. How might our understanding of who and what we are, as human beings, change if we remove the need for the sacrifice of Jesus as the Pascal Lamb, our redeemer?

I think it changes us at the core! I believe this because I think it changes who God is. God is no longer judging and demanding "his son" be sacrificed... God can be God when Jesus is not a sacrifice. With the sacrfice God is an angry volcano that will erupt if a virgin is not thrown inside...

Instead Jesus' death is recognized as a political matter... the Romans were afraid of him and his message. They killed him.

I believe the primary point of the crucifixion was not Jesus' death on the cross or even God raising Jesus from the dead but Jesus' ultimate and complete suppression of the (small "s") self and full embracing of God in the garden the night he was arrested. God did not/does not require a sacrifice; the sacrifice was no sacrifice at all to Jesus. By showing us that by returning to full communion/oneness with God, which necessitates suppression of our ego, we liberate our spirits from that which impairs that very communion. (The state of being for which and in which we were created).

And yet by being the revealer/exemplifier of this truth Jesus is, in deed, our Redeemer. ;-)