Hello From Sacramento, Ca

TomAllyn

I've lived in Sacramento, CA for about 99% of my 54-years. I am a former Assemblies of God ordained minister and I haven't attended church anywhere in nearly 15-years. I was pretty much run out of the last Church for loving the people who society and the church often marginalize, disenfranchise, and stigmatize and for exposing the extreme moral corruption of the churches leadership.

I'm here because I've often told myself that had I known of had the opportunity to be exposed to John Shelby Spong before I "left" the "ministry" and stopped attending church I might still be in some way part of both. I put left and ministry in quotes because as I now understand both now ministry is just loving my neighbors and seeking their good and often fighting for it when it's being denied. It's almost like breathing. All of my theology and praxis has completely changed and though I read the bible for through sometimes twice a year every year religiously for over 25-years I have rarely read it all for the last 10 or more years.

Back when I was in churches since I was 14-years-old it was said that I had the gifts of pastor and of prophet. I'm not confident whether as defined by Charismatics/Pentecostals that is accurate. Strangely, at least to me, I still believe in Charismata I just think the typical understand of them among different flavors of Charismatics/Pentecostals is way off especially as they are treated as an end in themselves.

~Tom

• Upvote 1

Welcome Tom,

Did the rounds similar to what you have posted (ordained minister and haven't attended church since 2002 except when grandchildren are preforming in their church) . Been made unwelcome in the fundamental organized church system.ever since publishing literature contrary to much accepted doctrine and dogma in mainline Christian churches of that time.which included Baptist, Pentecostal, and Assembly of God ,

Hope you find the support and fellowship here to continue your journey and are apprehended by that which you have always been seeking.

Joseph