The Revolutionary Truth Of Good Friday

Burl

A bit on the theistic side given my understanding and the article lost me at: "worship a spiritually muscular Being who willingly lowered Himself, ventured into our hell, fought our demons, carried our death, ate our pains, drank our suffering."

A muscular Being! Yeow!

I often scratch my head when Christianity promotes Jesus' short 30 or so years on earth as equating too understanding our lives etc, as if we can all be summed up as first century Jews.

What would Jesus really know and experience about being married, raising a family, fighting in a war, living through famine, or even modern life such as pressures in modern lives. To me, his experience would fall well short of that of all human beings.

As for it being a sacrfice, if you knew that you would spend all eternity reigning in a wonderful place called heaven, then really, is 30 or so years of roughing it really that tough?

From your link ...... "And, being spiritually One with God Himself, Jesus could have chosen to avoid those thorns."

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.

John 17:20-21 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us:

To me this pretty well indicates that if one considers Jesus as being fully God in the flesh, then anyone that he was referring to (believes on him through their word) is spiritually one with God and Jesus. So if this were true one would not be committing blasphemy by making the same claim. However if one dare make that claim, it would seem to me the whole fundamental Christian Church system would be there wanting to crucify that one.

However, to me, seeing that God is all in All and through all things..... in reality, i personally don't think you can separate God from anyone or anything whether there is belief or not, lest they or it cease to exist.

As Progressive Christians, it would seem to me, we believe in "the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life" not just the life of the man who is called Jesus.

Just my musings after reading link,

Joseph

I often scratch my head when Christianity promotes Jesus' short 30 or so years on earth as equating too understanding our lives etc, as if we can all be summed up as first century Jews.

What would Jesus really know and experience about being married, raising a family, fighting in a war, living through famine, or even modern life such as pressures in modern lives. To me, his experience would fall well short of that of all human beings.

As for it being a sacrfice, if you knew that you would spend all eternity reigning in a wonderful place called heaven, then really, is 30 or so years of roughing it really that tough?

Jesus was an extra-dimensional being who enabled a bridge between His divine spiritual dimension and mankind (the Holy Spirit). Christianity will never make any sense if you ignore Jesus' divinity.

From your link ...... "And, being spiritually One with God Himself, Jesus could have chosen to avoid those thorns."[/size]

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.[/size]

John 17:20-21 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;[/size] That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: [/size]

To me this pretty well indicates that if one considers Jesus as being fully God in the flesh, then anyone that he was referring to (believes on him through their word) is spiritually one with God and Jesus. So if this were true one would not be committing blasphemy by making the same claim. However if one dare make that claim, it would seem to me the whole fundamental Christian Church system would be there wanting to crucify that one.

However, to me, seeing that God is all in All and through all things..... in reality, i personally don't think you can separate God from anyone or anything whether there is belief or not, lest they or it cease to exist.

As Progressive Christians, it would seem to me, we believe in "the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life" not just the life of the man who is called Jesus.

Just my musings after reading link,

Joseph

I generally agree. The problem was that the "sacredness, oneness and unity" had become degraded and reduced to the legalistic tradition of the Pharisees. Jesus restored this connection to its earlier Abrahamic condition under the reign of the priest/king/prophet Melchizedek (Hebrews 7).

You see a similar event in all of the Axial Age religions. I do not discount them, but they are not my path so I can't comment in much depth either. The entire Axial Age was like a volcano of spirituality erupted and affected the whole of humanity. Jesus just happens to be the part I understand with greater clarity.

Edited by Burl