Discussion Of Emptiness

SteveS55

I decided to post this paper on "Emptiness Teachings" in this section, so as not to go too far afield from Rom's original thread. It's a little dense, but if you are somewhat familiar with Buddhist philosophy it might be helpful.

Enjoy.

Steve

https://emptinessteachings.com/2014/09/11/the-two-truths-of-buddhism-and-the-emptiness-of-emptiness/

Thanks Steve, I've taken a quick look and will take longer next time. First impressions are that difficult concepts are made as clear as they can be for heads like mine ( that tend to turn to jelly at the very first paradox )

When I get back to first base I see that I have what could be called sn existential grasp of this, that it relates to how we live and interact with others beyond "judgement".

That there is an unbroken line of continuity between the worlds most macho male and the worlds most effeminate female - each human being are themselves, unique, precious beyond all price. There are no fences in reality dividing us from each other. Words like "thief" or "prostitute" should in an "empty" reality be verbs only, not nouns. Conventional words like "gays" or whatever have limited application and invite us to miss seeing the truth before us. They invite judgement.

I have a few ebooks on Nagarguna and suchlike and if I can drag myself away from Candy Crush Saga for a while I'll give them a look.

Thanks

When inherent existence is globally negated through ultimate analysis, conventional images do not then disappear, but no longer deceive.

Thanks Steve I like the quote from the article you posted.

We can be in the midst of complications in addition to being aware of the harmony in the same moment. This practice is not for everyone, but it brings us to the psychological process of mindfulness where we are aware of the internal and external in the same moment.

Actually, Candy Crush Saga sounds pretty good about now, Tariki! Nice break before tackling Nagarjuna again.

I thought the paper was pretty good, Soma. I'm not familiar with the author, but she references Jay Garfield a lot, with whom I am.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Leading on from the Dogen thread, this is worth posting here. A zen story, of two zen worthies discussing emptiness. One asked the other if they could grasp emptiness. "Indeed" said one, and then grasped at the air. "No" said the other, before grabbing his companions nose and twisting it. "THAT is how you grasp emptiness".

(Eckhart said that God abhors an empty space - this analogy to Dogen's thought was suggested to me in the book I am reading)

"One asked the other if they could grasp emptiness. "Indeed" said one, and then grasped at the air. "No" said the other, before grabbing his companions nose and twisting it. 'THAT is how you grasp emptiness'".

I'm guessing that's the demonstration of "form is emptiness and emptiness is form".

Edited by SteveS55