Greetings From Australia

PaulB

Hi everyone, I am on a journey to find like minded people. For the past 2 years I have been trying to figure out where I fit in I was a committed Christian but as time went on I found it hard to swallow certain stories of the bible and the churches attitude towards homosexuals ( which was the begging of the end for me).

I guess the part that I find the hardest is not being able to talk to anyone that I know about my beliefs, as the all the religious people I know (including my family) are set in their ways of thinking and my wife has no interest in religion at all so no luck there either ?.

As for my beliefs I have looked at other faiths (Buddhism , Hindu) and have come to the conclusion that no one faith has all the answers. I would love to start attending church again but have found it impossible to find a church with people of at least remotely the same beliefs but with no luck so for the moment I am hoping that forums like this one can help to answer any questions I have and engage in meaningful discussion. Hope the intro was not to long winded.

Cheers Paul

• Upvote 1

From one Aussie Paul to another,

Welcome to the forum Paul.

Coming from a very Christian family myself (committed christian parents, evangelical missionary sister overseas) I know what it is like to be the 'black sheep' and not be able to properly discuss religious thought with friends and family who already 'know the truth' and refuse to consider any alternative, regardless of the facts presented. Unfortunately many Christians are safe and secure in their understanding of Christianity and don't want their boat rocked!

I also have a wife who has no interest in Christianity and who frankly can't understand why 'christians swallow that stuff!', which doesn't lend itself to any meaningful discussion about long held beliefs which are now debunked or fears of an eternal hell burned into your consciousness as an innocent little child.

I had long kicked the habit of thinking their was some being elsewhere even remotely interested in my life, but had a relapse in my early 40s when suffering anxiety and depression over money and family matters. That blessing in disguise caused me to look deeper into the reasons why my gut was telling me initially to leave Christianity.

For me personally, it was much reading and this forum which helped me through those darkest times. Here I found many people prepared to listen, give advice and challenge me about my thoughts, pretty much always in a safe and secure environment. Not all opinions are the same but most people here are happy for you to have your view and allow you to continue on your journey of self-discovery, in a safe and non-accusing matter. We may debate and not always agree, but as long as we can all agree to get along then this forum can be of benefit to all.

I hope you enjoy it here and find some pleasure in participating.

Cheers

Paul

PaulB,

You certainly are not alone in your beliefs or feelings mentioned in your introduction with many on this site. Hope you enjoy participating . Feel free to start a thread on any particular area you might wish to discuss.

Welcome,

Joseph

PaulB, Salutations to the Divinity within you. " As for my beliefs I have looked at other faiths (Buddhism , Hindu) and have come to the conclusion that no one faith has all the answers." I agree with you and Burl that no one faith has all the answers. They and science can help us to understand ourselves though. They have made me a better Christian. \

Great to have you a board.

PaulB, Salutations to the Divinity within you. " As for my beliefs I have looked at other faiths (Buddhism , Hindu) and have come to the conclusion that no one faith has all the answers." I agree with you and Burl that no one faith has all the answers. They and science can help us to understand ourselves though. They have made me a better Christian. \

Great to have you a board.

Yes, no one faith has all of the answers. However, every established faith has SOME of the answers. Future generations have heard their echoes, and realize echoes always have an authentic source.

If a faith has been carried forth for generations it deserves respect.

A narcissistic fantasy that cannot even be transmitted to one's closest family is certainly false. It dies with its postulant.