The Kingdom Of God?

BillM

I think there is little doubt that Jesus' favorite topic was "the kingdom of God" (sometimes called "the kingdom of heaven"). As a PC (or someone sympathetic to PC or the 8 Points), what does this illusive term mean to you? How would you describe the kingdom of God in modern terms or in language that might speak to us today?

• Upvote 1

Great question. First, the kingdom of God is not heaven. A common confound that needs to be put aside immediately.

The kingdom of God is where God's will is honored "on earth as it is in heaven". Because of sin it is diffuse and incomplete, but still here.

The effects of sin are not predictable or proportional. Reducing sin and increasing self-sacrifice for the sake of others is the key to ushering in the kingdom of God.

The Kingdom of God in modern terms great thread..............

In my mind the Kingdom of God is the awareness of everything in Eternity, and the message of Jesus is that the Kingdom is within, which I feel is the way for us to become aware. The different frequencies and dimensions of infinity with endless connections can be discovered within easier than without because the senses are drawn to the crude vibrations that distract us from the subtle. The sense of infinite is made aware with love.

A very good book I am reading currently, "How Jesus became Christian" by Barrie Wilson, paints the picture of Jesus believing the KOG was an era to be ushered in shortly, where peace on earth would be restored, the Jews would be free of their Roman masters, and life would be about living the way God wanted them too. So Jesus didn't think it was something one could work toward or assist with but rather something that would physically happen/occur which then would be taken up in practice also.

To me it seems most likely that Jesus never thought of the kingdom of God applying to all, but rather something that was promised by God to the Jews for them to have one day.

I, too, think that the KoG for Jesus, at least in the beginning of his ministry, was a reconstituted Israel. I recall him telling his disciples to take the gospel only to the house of Israel. And he chastised the woman who came to him to have her daughter healed because she was not Jewish (as I recall). But I also think that, over time, Jesus' concept of the KoG began to change. He became more open to half-breeds and Gentiles. And he refused the throne in Jerusalem, something that those who believed in an earthly messiah would have expected him to usurp. In one of his post-resurrection appearances, he told his disciples to take his teachings into all the world. So perhaps his views were enlarged as he came into contact with people.

If this is true, then the KoG, for Israel, would have meant the re-establishment of their nation with their own ruler. This would have probably been interpreted as Israel ruling the known world with messiah ruling with a rod of iron to enforce the monotheism and laws of the Jews. It wouldn't have meant, as Burl, point out, the modern notion of "going to heaven." It would have meant heaven coming to earth, which is something we see in the book of Revelation.

Yet...

Yet I have trouble translating this into modern terms. For one thing, we don't live in a monarchy. We here in the States have no king. We claim to be a democracy - a government by the people for the people. Second, I'm very wary of the kind of Christianity that feels that nationalism and patriotism are almost synonymous with being a Christian, as if God establish the USA so that he could, through the USA, rule the rest of the world. Such notions make my skin crawl because of what this kind of thinking has lead to in the past in other nations.

So this makes me wonder what of the KoG is left that might be translatable or relevant for us in the modern world. Is the term, or should it be, obsolete? If so, what if left of the message of Jesus that still applies to us today?

While there are many who see the KoG in the light you have described and historically may make sense, i think the message relevant for the modern world and even originally does have a more spiritual meaning that is not always grasped without a study of the language in which the Gospels were written. And even then it is often difficult to understand without direct experience . Rather than getting into a long write i will reference a post i did in August 31 of 2007 with my understanding and own personall experience of what i feel the gospels writer(s) meant when talking of the KoG.

Joseph

The kingdom of God/heaven is only "illusive" to those who have not found it. Jesus rules now from heaven. I started a thread about this a few months ago, showing that the kingdom arrived at Jesus' last breath. His followers obey his NEW laws which are recorded in the four gospels.

Few realize that when they recite the "Lord's" prayer they are praying for the kingdom to arrive, essentially calling Jesus a liar.

Few realize that when they recite the "Lord's" prayer they are praying for the kingdom to arrive, essentially calling Jesus a liar.

I do not see this. Would you please explicate your thoughts in more detail? Edited by Burl

• 1 year later...

In hermetic philosophy as well as in science, the nature of the universe is evolution. Life evolves from simple to complex. From this matrix, the Kingdom of God is social, economic, political and ecological order that is fully aligned to God's Will and Plan for creation. It is a state of being in the world that fully express the divine essence of and in all things. This reminds of the Eastern Orthodox concept of Theosis or Deification. The Kingdom of God is a Divinized creation that will burst forth as we evolve. From esoteric teachings, when humanity's energy and consciousness vibration has increased significantly, immortality might even be possible in this life of earth. Remembering the movie "Babylon 5", humanity might evolved into beings with purely energy bodies. This might be what the Transfiguration and the Resurrection show to us as the end of humanity.

Edited by gfcacha

1 hour ago, gfcacha said:

In hermetic philosophy as well as in science, the nature of the universe is evolution. Life evolves from simple to complex. From this matrix, the Kingdom of God is social, economic, political and ecological order that is fully aligned to God's Will and Plan for creation. It is a state of being in the world that fully express the divine essence of and in all things. This reminds of the Eastern Orthodox concept of Theosis or Deification. The Kingdom of God is a Divinized creation that will burst forth as we evolve. From esoteric teachings, when humanity's energy and consciousness vibration has increased significantly, immortality might even be possible in this life of earth. Remembering the movie "Babylon 5", humanity might evolved into beings with purely energy bodies. This might be what the Transfiguration and the Resurrection show to us as the end of humanity.

Maybe. I would appreciate it if you can explain further.

I accept evolution but also recognize that, in Christianity, the Kingdom of God is not something 'natural' waiting to burst forth (although there might be  something to this idea). Rather, it is 'called' forth and the 'evolution' of creation to Kingdom or deification, is because man/creation responds to God.  

Intriguing, nonetheless.

Edited by thormas

• 3 years later...

The kingdom of God I internalize from Jesus teachings that it is a state of mind . That's why he said over and over the kingdom of God is at hand . Meaning right now this very second we can experience it by following the teachings Jesus gave us . Being as a child having a open mind to new things, teachings not trapped in a mental box we never question.  Looking at the beam in our eye which means working on our psyche   uncovering the ego and all its workings . Overcoming the mass consciousness  the herd mentality that Jesus called the prince of this world . Putting on the wedding garment which to me means raising my awareness consciousness . 

I don't like putting words to it, but I'll explain with as little detail as I can. 

For me, KOG or divinity, or whatever one wants to call it is the connectedness of all life. 

Living things are all connected, and capable of great destruction (aka sin), but we are still all connected in divinity. 

Giving of oneself to lessen the suffering of another taps us into it. Reminds us that they are us and we are them. 

This is why humans are as self destructive as they are destructive to others. Destruction/sin is universal. 

KOG/divinity is fundamental to our very existence. Destruction/sin is what we do in this world. 

Nobody has children with the expectation or hope of them being perfect. Them doing destructive crap along the way doesn't make them less worth having, it's a fundamental part of having them. We exist for the same reason that anyone or anything has children. Life is the whole point.