Christian Music Which Moves You

Burl

One need not be a Christian to be moved by the best in Christian music. Bach, Sam Cooke, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Arvo Pärt, Bob Dylan . . .all Christians and profound musical geniuses appreciated deeply even by those whose religion forbids music.

I have seen an English speaking atheistic, pop star crazed teenager who never listens to classical music shaken to tears by Górecki's third symphony sung in Polish, so it isn't lyrics or style. She didn't know the history of the piece. It was simply the accessibility to raw human emotion.

Belief is personal, but emotion is universal.

• Upvote 1

Omigosh, Burl, books AND music all in the same week? I dunno, the sky here might fall down.

I completely agree with our wonderful statement above:" Belief is personal, but emotion is universal."

The mystery of music -- its transformative power to communicate the language of the heart, its power to heal, unite, teach, inspire -- is sometimes the only reason I go to church.

Mahalia Jackson: now there's someone whose generosity just makes me shake my head in awe and wonder and gratitude.

Edited by Realspiritik
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing that, Burl.

One of my favorites is Vivaldi's Beatus Vir (Psalm 111: Blessed is the Man that fears the Lord). It somehow seems to capture joy and simplicity. (Will add a link when I 'catch' a new mouse.)

Annie

• Upvote 1

American white gospel standard sung by the world famous Zulu Christian isicathamiya choir Ladysmith Black Mombazo.

The eternal God is thy refuge & underneath are the everlasting arms. Deuteronomy 33:27

Ah the Estonian paradox.

All Orthodox Christianity is closely tied to the translation of Scripture in their native language. Russian, Greek, Romanian Orthodox etc. all follow linguistic translations although they are labeled nationalistically.

Romansh, what is your impression of Pärt's beatitudes? Did you play this through your stereo and meditate upon it, or just sample through tinny electronic transducers?

Romansh, what is your impression of Pärt's beatitudes? Did you play this through your stereo and meditate upon it, or just sample through tinny electronic transducers?

The little bit I heard sounded nice. Having said that the laptop has crappy speakers.

Regarding meditation ... a couple of quotes:

We tend to think of meditation in only one way. But life itself is a meditation

Raul Julio

and one from Joseph Campbell again:

How do we elevate our consciousness? Meditation. All of life is a meditation, most of it unintentional. A lot of people spend most of their meditating on where their money’s coming from and where it’s going to go, but that’s a level of meditation. Or if you have a family to bring up, you’re concerned for the family. These are all certainly very important concerns, but they have to do with physical conditions mostly. How are you going to communicate spiritual consciousness to the children if you don’t have it yourself, so how do you get that? The myths. What the myths are for is to bring us into a level of consciousness which is spiritual.

I meditate on the myths of science and philosophy. Hope that's OK.

Laptop speakers? No wonder you are agnostic! You are already in hell! Airplay! Headphones! It's C21 and you are listening to mylar glued to aluminum!

I'm posting a song just for you and your tinny laptop speakers.

Edited by Burl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...