Photo

"living Buddha, Living Christ"

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Poll: "Living Buddah, Living Christ"

Are you interested in a chapter by chapter group reading if this Thich Naht Hanh classic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 SteveS55

SteveS55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

Meditation is simply being with a quiet mind. "All men's  miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."
- Blaise Pascal

#142 SteveS55

SteveS55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

I read the article about the dangers of meditation with interest, Rom.  I can’t say I disagree strongly with the author’s views, but I think they are probably over-amplified.

However, for someone considering a “serious” meditation practice, I think they should definitely find a qualified meditation teacher.  They might have to look around for a while and see what best fits their particular mental, emotional and physical disposition.

Also, like the author, I don’t think just anyone can automatically benefit from meditation.  Many people have serious emotional and psychological issues that should be addressed prior to getting into meditation.  I have in mind Abraham Maslow’s “self-actualized” individual.  Someone who has it “all together”, or who is at least working toward that would benefit much more than an emotional wreck.

For the ill-informed, certain meditation techniques can bring up very disturbing thoughts, memories and images.  Without knowing why this is happening, a person is likely to just stop altogether, and that is probably for the best.

I started meditating when I joined AA thirty years ago.  But, I was also in psychotherapy at the time.  I noticed that the “meditation” step was number eleven of twelve.  I wondered about that at the time, but not anymore.  There are ten very challenging steps to be done (clean-up work) prior to getting into meditation.

For those who are after a spiritual “fix”, or an experience of “ecstasy”, meditation isn’t for them.  I would suggest peyote or its equivalent for that!

Finally, it’s important (at least in my opinion) for a person to have a purpose for their meditation practice.

Steve

PS  I realize we are seriously off-topic here, but what the hey!

#143 soma

soma

Global Forum Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:06 PM

Steve, good advice. It seems you have been around the block a few times, mindful of the times you were aware and not. 

A soul with a body, not a body with a soul. http://thinkunity.com

#144 romansh

romansh

Senior Contributing Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

Well this thread seems to have died a death.

What were the overall views of the book ... mine would have been three star?

Also the little bit of commentary on meditation seems to indicate it means different things to different people.

"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users