Greetings From Norcal

Jim Wright

I have read some of John's books over the years but never considered that there might be a message board to talk about them. I am a long time Methodist and have always enjoyed the music even though some of the words in the songs are quite meaningless to me. An example of this is How Great Thou Art. I like how it feels to sing the song even though I won't even sing the last two verses. The song elicits gratitude and joy in me even though the words leave me cold sometimes. My point is that anything that gets one to a place of gratitude and joy is a good thing.

I also have a keen sense of irony. Just last week I shared with my pastor how all the believers in God might be practicing idolatry and the atheists might have it right.

Anyway, glad to be here and thanks for letting me share...

• Upvote 1

Welcome Jim,

Yes, a very powerful and uplifting hymn celebrating the majesty of our universe and eliciting gratitude and joy, even if some of it doesn't sit well with us for various reasons.

I hope you enjoy reading and participating here.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome Jim,

Glad you found us. Feel free to share your thoughts. Yes Music can be very uplifting and i share your feeling on the sometimes meaningless words. It is that which is beyond words that we seek anyway.

Again Welcome,

Joseph

Jim salutations to the Divinity within you and your pearls of wisdom. I like your irony it will fit in with the Zen koans. There are people who go to church, temple and synagogue and people who never go to these institutions, but either way, they live in such a way that they have love and compassion. I also think worshiping the institution is idolatry.