Photo

Presidential Poll

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Forum members preference for the next US President

Who do you want to see for the next US President

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JosephM

JosephM

Forum Administrator - Global Moderator - Site Sponsor

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Vote your preference. Your vote is not made public  ( it's anonymous) unless you desire to post a comment indicating who you voted for or why.

"The only separation between you and me can only be in your mind." --Joseph Mattioli

#2 romansh

romansh

Senior Contributing Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:47 PM

As a non USA resident I won't vote but not surprisingly perhaps I will express an opinion.

No way I would vote for any of the Republicans ... they have lost their way since the mid eighties. And the part that saddens me is they have dragged the Democrats to the right with them. I would likely vote Hilary, not because I agree with her ideals, it is simply that I think she would have a better chance moving the US's politics closer to the "centre" than Bernie.

Political Compass is an interesting site ... it gives a slightly left leaning view of things in my view, but it has an interesting questionnaire ... I typically score about -4, -4 on it. Here is the site's take on the primaries.

And here is the 2012 US election, or at least their viewpoint. And if we compare it to the 2008 election we can see Obama has been pulled way over during his first term.

Edited by romansh, 19 April 2016 - 09:49 PM.

"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams

#3 PaulS

PaulS

Global Moderator & Site Sponsor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:58 PM

Also as a non-US resident, I too favour Hillary for much the same reasons as Rom.  I dread what the US may become if Trump is elected.

Because they know the name of what I am looking for, they think they know what I am looking for! ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin

#4 soma

soma

Global Forum Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

I would like to see Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders be the running mate to keep Hillary honest. I went to Korea when they were a very poor country and a Coup de tat happened which restricted Korea with fear. I watched for 11 years as fear handcuffed the population and their creativity. Now, the rolls have changed and the US is handcuffed with fear and hate. Korea seems happier, freer and more creative. It started when the opposition leader who was jailed became president after two Generals left office.

A soul with a body, not a body with a soul. http://thinkunity.com

#5 tariki

tariki

Senior Member & OWT Moderator

• Area Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

Being born and bred in the UK perhaps my preferences are really if no consequence. But I voted for Hilary Clinton.

At risk if controversy (!) the race for the White House makes me think back to an old Peanuts cartoon where Charlie Brown plays the "nations number one" hit song to Linus. After listening, Linus just says "the nations in bad shape". Well, every time I hear the words of Mr Trump and realise that many support him I think..........

When a scholar is born they forget the nembutsu (Honen)

#6 soma

soma

Global Forum Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

tariki your preference is important because the president of the United States needs to interact, respect and be respected around the world, otherwise negotiation will be a lost art and war will dominate.

#7 Burl

Burl

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

God tends to pick unlikely vessels. I would not be at all surprised if Trump wins and does a decent job, but I'm voting for Dr. Stein based on honesty and brains.
If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.

Charles Darwin, Origin of Species

#8 soma

soma

Global Forum Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Trump can't control or govern his tweets much less a country. He wanted entertainers to be mainstay at his convention and they turned him down, even conservative Republican names. Therefore, B list got the call and they did it not for Trump, but to get back into the spot light. The opening prayer was a shock praying against his mental enemies. 

#9 romansh

romansh

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

God

tends to pick unlikely vessels.

Some divine vessels of the twentieth century:

Enver Pasha

Kim Il Sung

Ho Chi Minh

Pol Pot

Saddam Hussein

Yahya Khan

Hideki Tojo

Vladimir Lenin

Hirohito

Chiang Kai-shek

Adolf Hitler

Joseph Stalin

Mao Zedong

But then it could be argued we are all divine vessels except when we are not.

"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Douglas Adams

#10 Burl

Burl

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Some divine vessels of the twentieth century:

Enver Pasha
Kim Il Sung
Ho Chi Minh
Pol Pot
Saddam Hussein
Yahya Khan
Hideki Tojo
Vladimir Lenin
Hirohito
Chiang Kai-shek
Adolf Hitler
Joseph Stalin
Mao Zedong

But then it could be argued we are all divine vessels except when we are not.

My list of unlikely vessels would include Malcom X, JFK, and Gen. Wm. Smedley Butler. I do not consider anyone on your list to be divinely inspired.

Edited by Burl, 24 July 2016 - 10:58 AM.

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.

#11 romansh

romansh

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

My list of unlikely vessels would include Malcom X, JFK, and Gen. Wm. Smedley Butler. I do not consider anyone on your list to be divinely inspired.

Do you mean inspired by the divine? Or they are some god's instrument?

If it is the latter ... then I would argue your any lists we make are equally arbitrary.

But then you missed the point I was trying to make  .... which is summarized at the bottom of my previous post.

Douglas Adams

#12 Burl

Burl

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

Your statement was not missed. It is illogical as it begs the question.

#13 romansh

romansh

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

Your statement was not missed. It is illogical as it begs the question.

And what answer does it assume?

Douglas Adams

#14 SteveS55

SteveS55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:10 PM

I would argue that Donald Trump is merely a reflection, or manifestation of an underlying current of authoritarian fascism in this country.  This is not surprising since most of his supporters are white, middle class people of European descent, a culture, I would also argue, that historically seems to be partial to monarchs or fascist governance.  This is borne out by the nationalistic, nativist regimes of the 1930's.  So, there is nothing particularly new about the Trump phenomenon.  In himself, there is no real substance, or transcendent qualities.   He is merely a showman for the masses who espouses their private, dark desires.

So, on election day, I'm going to take this humble vessel and vote against this clown!

Steve

#15 Burl

Burl

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

"A divine vessel is a divine vessel unless it is not a divine vessel". The statement is self-referential.

I'm sure you had a valid point in mind but that statement does not communicate it. If you don't pull Schrodinger's cat out of that box how can anyone know it actually exists?

#16 romansh

romansh

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

In himself, there is no real substance, or transcendent qualities.  

You make him sound of the immaterial ...

And there aspects of Trump that are transcendent ... in the sense of beyond all categories of thought.

Edited by romansh, 24 July 2016 - 12:38 PM.

Douglas Adams

#17 romansh

romansh

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

"A divine vessel is a divine vessel unless it is not a divine vessel". The statement is self-referential.

I'm sure you had a valid point in mind but that statement does not communicate it. If you don't pull Schrodinger's cat out of that box how can anyone know it actually exists?

So how will we ever know whether Trump will ever be a divine vessel?

I suppose you will be able to tell me?

Douglas Adams

#18 SteveS55

SteveS55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

The only thing worse than religion is politics, and together they are a disaster!  I just vote my preference, something I have been conditioned to do, just like the Trump supporters do.  Our religious and political beliefs are our addictions.  When someone tries to challenge them, or take them from us, we act exactly like addicts, and become irritable and discontent.

Steve

#19 Burl

Burl

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

As I said, I'm voting for Dr. Stein. I reject both uniparty candidates.

But we can tell a good tree by its fruit. If Trump becomes a divine vessel the character change will be undeniable proof.

#20 romansh

romansh

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

But we can tell a good tree by its fruit. If Trump becomes a divine vessel the character change will be undeniable proof.

So when you decree Trump (or anyone else) as divine that is undeniable proof?

Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users