Moral Discussions On Movies

I've been thinking of posting some threads talking about the morals in different movies. Would anyone be interested in reading these?

I think it's important to break down movies, even if they seem like relatively simple "kids movies", to see different messages they send to the audience. Consuming ideas and information through movies can help give people new perspectives to improve their lives and way of thinking, and it's easier to process that information when things have been pointed out and discussed.

For a while I tried to find movie reviews that focused on morality and life lessons, but I never found any that satisfied what kind of content I was looking for. I would love to have input and discussion on these things as well. Does anyone think it would be neat to participate in? Most of what comes to mind right now for threads I would make would be animated movies, but I do have others.

I've been thinking of posting some threads talking about the morals in different movies. Would anyone be interested in reading these?

I think it would be interesting to read/talk about the view on life in fiction.
But I have to mention one technical thing, usually in forums, the fear of ending up reading spoilers is what keeps me away from threads which are about movies and tv-series and that kind of kills the discussion before it even started... So, I hope you have some sort of "spoiler safety policy" in place if u start doing those, so me and other as paranoid people actually dare to open the threads.
Is it possible to add spoiler tags here which hide the text inside them? I couldn't find those in options when I tried to look...

I think it would be interesting to read/talk about the view on life in fiction.
But I have to mention one technical thing, usually in forums, the fear of ending up reading spoilers is what keeps me away from threads which are about movies and tv-series and that kind of kills the discussion before it even started... So, I hope you have some sort of "spoiler safety policy" in place if u start doing those, so me and other as paranoid people actually dare to open the threads.
Is it possible to add spoiler tags here which hide the text inside them? I couldn't find those in options when I tried to look...

I hadn't even thought of spoilers! To be honest the first movies I thought of were ones that have been out for a while, like The Lion King, haha! I'll look around on here and see if there are options to hide text!

I hadn't even thought of spoilers! To be honest the first movies I thought of were ones that have been out for a while, like The Lion King, haha! I'll look around on here and see if there are options to hide text!

If there's no spoiler option, then how about making one thread for each movie, with the name of the movie in the title? That way it's possible to decide whether I've seen it or not before reading more.

You know, one of the reasons for my spoiler-phobia is that I very often watch movies only years later than everyone else, and by then everyone has forgotten about the possibility of someone having not seen it :D

Lion King sounds good! Have you watched animated X-Men series? There are couple of them around and I love them all! If those happen to be on your list, I'm going to be the first one to read it!!

Edited by Jack of Spades

If there's no spoiler option, then how about making one thread for each movie, with the name of the movie in the title? That way it's possible to decide whether I've seen it or not before reading more.

You know, one of the reasons for my spoiler-phobia is that I very often watch movies only years later than everyone else, and by then everyone has forgotten about the possibility of someone having not seen it :D

Lion King sounds good! Have you watched animated X-Men series? There are couple of them around and I love them all! If those happen to be on your list, I'm going to be the first one to read it!!

I was thinking of doing each movie in its own thread, actually! :D So I hope that will work!

I haven't seen the animated X-Men series :( I actually haven't seen many shows or movies that are based on super hero franchises. Maybe someone can add those! :D

I've been thinking of posting some threads talking about the morals in different movies. Would anyone be interested in reading these?make would be animated movies, but I do have others.

Before going down the road of movies and morals ... personally I would question the concept of morals.

Do we mean there is some absolute right and wrong?

Do we refer to the twinge of guilt that we may have when doing something we think perhaps we should not do?

Or do you mean breaking some socially accepted covenant?

Just asking. :mellow:

Before going down the road of movies and morals ... personally I would question the concept of morals.

Do we mean there is some absolute right and wrong?

Do we refer to the twinge of guilt that we may have when doing something we think perhaps we should not do?

Or do you mean breaking some socially accepted covenant?

Just asking. :mellow:

When I wrote this post and my first movie discussion post, the concept of morals I used was an important lesson that can be valuable to living a good life :)

I am not anywhere near perfect at this though, especially because this is my first time doing such a thing, so I really want to open it up for discussion from everyone. I hope I answered your question in the way you wanted, but if not I can try again!

When I wrote this post and my first movie discussion post, the concept of morals I used was an important lesson that can be valuable to living a good life :)

I am not anywhere near perfect at this though, especially because this is my first time doing such a thing, so I really want to open it up for discussion from everyone. I hope I answered your question in the way you wanted, but if not I can try again!

A good life?

Do you mean a life you enjoy?

A life that absorbs you?

Or something else?

The point I am trying to make is I can live a reasonably happy life without morals or even the concept of morality.

So while we can discuss morality in the movies, I would like to cut the Gordian knot.

For me a far more interesting subject.

But if somebody wants to weigh in on morality in the movies, I will try and hold my tongue. :-)

A good life?

Do you mean a life you enjoy?

A life that absorbs you?

Or something else?

The point I am trying to make is I can live a reasonably happy life without morals or even the concept of morality.

So while we can discuss morality in the movies, I would like to cut the Gordian knot.

For me a far more interesting subject.

But if somebody wants to weigh in on morality in the movies, I will try and hold my tongue. :-)

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask? I don't know what the Gordian knot is.

I will try to explain what I mean:

I think moral lessons taught in movies (or anything, really) can help a person change the way they think in ways that can help them. The way I'm trying to say "live a good life", I'm saying being introduced to a new idea or way of thinking that helps you live a better life because this lesson can help you. You don't need to take in every lesson and use it, but some are really helpful. Like being taught by example why it's a good idea to have patience with others, which is something I struggle with. When it's broken down and taught to me through different mediums and different view points (like the view of someone who is rushed, showing what they feel when someone is very impatient with them), I can better take in the lesson and apply it to my life. Then I can hopefully understand others more and be more patient, which can help other people around me feel calmer and better.

I don't seem to have a good grasp of words tonight so I am not sure if I can get this across correctly. I will try to answer any other questions with the best of my ability :)

... a good grasp of words tonight ....

Here we use the word good in a different sense ,,,, it is more like "accurate".

In the previous uses good was used more in a sense of opposition to bad (as in evil or some diluted form of evil).

I am questioning the existence of good, evil and the shades in between. To have morality whether in the movies or elsewhere I think we need have a belief in good and evil.

Here we use the word good in a different sense ,,,, it is more like "accurate".

In the previous uses good was used more in a sense of opposition to bad (as in evil or some diluted form of evil).

I am questioning the existence of good, evil and the shades in between. To have morality whether in the movies or elsewhere I think we need have a belief in good and evil.

I'm really not sure what you're saying. Are you picking at this because I used the word "good" in a sentence because it didn't match to the same meaning that you held?

If that's the case, I'm really not sure this discussion is going to go anywhere.

The purpose of this thread and idea isn't to break down that question. It was just asking if people would like it if I posted threads about moral lessons taught in movies.

So the idea of this thread is to discuss something that might not exist?

OK it is your thread ... I will leave you be.

Hi KitKatMatt,

Personally, I find stories whether from a movie, book, or made up and passed down often contain principles or lessons that we can derive morals from. Morals more in the sense of what is prudent than what is right or wrong. In my view, morals in the sense of what is acting or showing care and thought for the future is wisdom and i think that is what you are referring to as living a 'good' life. Is that correct?

While others may have a different view on what they personally consider good or wise for the future making it a subjective opinion, the movies and stories i find can help us see and avoid things that can often result in that which we consider undesirable to come into our personal lives. In that sense, i think i would enjoy and possibly benefit from reading your views and that of others on morals presented in different movies.

Joseph

In my view, morals in the sense of what is acting or showing care and thought for the future is wisdom and i think that is what you are referring to as living a 'good' life. Is that correct?

That's what I was going for, yes :)

I'm sorry if the quote messed up, I'm still getting used to the features here.

I wonder if that is accurate, Rom. Whilst I don't believe in 'absolute' morals I do think every person lives by morals that they find acceptable to them. These may differ widely and sometimes even be in opposition to others, but even so they are morals that that person chooses to adhere to (unless we're travelling down the 'no free will path' :) )