My Life = My Statement Of Faith

Jack of Spades

My answers to the sticky thread.

Info for starters: I'm still a bit unsure where I stand regarding Christianity, so my answers are more of speculation than rock solid statements. Still trying to figure it out!

1. What problems might arise in a church community that has no dogmatic beliefs?

- I haven't really been part of such community, so it's difficult to answer. Many problems only become apparent after a while. I feel like I should experience it before having a reasonable opinion about it.

2. How do we deal with our differences in a healthy and positive way?

- As for myself, I believe it can be done by making my personal goal to understand others better and by showing some respect to them. It usually works well if other participants share the same goal.

However, we live in an imperfect world and from time to time in a community, I might have to deal with someone who's goal is not to get along with me, but rather to change me to be like they are. What to do in such situation is the most difficult dilemma for me. If it only happens now and then, the solution is to just ignore it, but if it's habitual and continuous, there is a limit for how much I'm capable or willing to tolerate, and when that limit is reached, there are few good solutions left.

3. What are some of the ways we can demonstrate our understanding of the “great commandment” when it comes to loving our neighbor?

- As a mystic, I tend to emphasize the essence of love over the idea of love as a collection of actions. I think, if I have love in my spirit as a driving force, it will eventually manifest in my attitude and actions towards others. I feel that trying to make a list of actions which are loving is reducing love to something that is little bit mechanical. In practice, love can be things not said and done as much as things said and done.

4. Create a list of Christian values that you think are reflections of your faith today.

- I appreciate most classic Christian virtues, such as love, kindness, patience, wisdom, faith etc. But I must say, there are some classic Christian virtues I can't really embrace, like modesty and self-denial, at least in sense of what I understand them to mean. I'm more into "life is short, have some fun and embrace what you are" - attitude on that area.

I must say, I might have some translation difficulties with understanding the question because it seems wierd to me.

5. Do you believe that you behave as a follower of Jesus most of the time; some of the time; or now and then?

- I might have some Christ-inspired moments now and then, but to claim that's what defines me as a person would be a huge overstatement. I'm more of a "I mind my own business" - kinda guy than someone who's actively trying to make the world a better place for everyone.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like your answers, Jack of Spades. I hope you'll post more in the 8 Points sections, as there's been very little activity here and (theoretically speaking) it's the 8 Points that are supposed to draw us together as a community of open-hearted, open-minded Christians!

I like your answers, Jack of Spades. I hope you'll post more in the 8 Points sections, as there's been very little activity here and (theoretically speaking) it's the 8 Points that are supposed to draw us together as a community of open-hearted, open-minded Christians!

Thank you Realspiritik!
To be honest, I'm still a little bit confused about should I be posting on this points-area at all or not. Is it for PC people only? I am interested in knowing more about PC and the points but I wouldn't (at least yet) go as far as call myself a PC.
If you have any comments on anything I said about the points, or if you want to clarify something about them, I'd be glad to read it!

Jack,

Its fine for you to post in the 8 points area but the posts should be related to your thoughts or discussion on point 5 or whatever point you post under.

Point 5

ie: "The way we behave toward one another and toward other people is the fullest expression of what we believe"

Joseph

thread moved here from 8 points area

Edited by JosephM

Jack,

Its fine for you to post in the 8 points area but the posts should be related to your thoughts or discussion on point 5 or whatever point you post under.

Point 5

ie: "The way we behave toward one another and toward other people is the fullest expression of what we believe"

Joseph

thread moved here from 8 points area

I thought answering the questions in the sticky thread on the area is related to the point?

Sorry Jack,

Had a senior moment. My error . I see you choose to respond to the sticky thread in point 5 and this is the correct place. I got hung up on your topic title. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Joseph

Edited by JosephM
Returned thread to original area