Discoveries: Learning To See With Your Ears

This morning I was excited to read an article in the current issue of Discover (July/August 2015) that gives a really good analogy for what I do as a cataphatic mystic and how I learned to do it. The article is called "Sonic Vision" by Berit Brogaard abd Kristian Marlow, and it's excerpted from an upcoming book called The Superhuman MInd: Free the Genius in Your Brain by these authors. If you have a subscription to Discover, you can read the article online. Or you can buy the current issue at the newstand, as I did.

First, though, a quick story that sort of shows how I navigate in my life as a mystic and auditory channeller. (Some of you may recall that I have a strong auditory connection to the soul who once lived as Jesus son of Joseph. Again, I understand this is problematic for some readers and, again, I can't apologize for who I am and what I do.)

To find the Discover article about humans who are blind but have learned to navigate in their environment by using sophisticated echolocation skills, I could have just kept checking on the Discover website until such an article appeared. But that's not how I live my life. There's only so much time and so much money and so much brain energy. What I do instead of constantly checking websites or subscribing to print magazines is to patiently wait until I get a message from my angels. (Again, I understand this is problematic for some readers, but this is a Christian website, and angels or messengers or persons-of-soul or whatever you want to call them have always been part of the Christian narrative.)

So here's how my discovery of the Discovery article went. First, I realized I needed to go buy a birthday card for a friend. Then it occurred to me I could walk to the plaza instead of driving (though often I drive). And because I walked to the plaza, I passed by the window of a convenience store I hadn't been in for a long while. And because I walked past the window, I saw their sign for inexpensive cards. (I'm on a tight budget, so I'm always looking for good value). And because I saw the sign, I went in. And because I went in, I discovered the store has been turned into a good magazine shop with titles that don't normally show up in the local drugstore. And because there was a good selection of science magazines, I was able to "feel" the quantum Post-It note that was attached to the Discover issue.

Don't laugh, but this is how I do all my shopping. It's a process of navigation. It's a process of following quantum threads until they lead me to the quantum Post-It attached to the thing I need. Often the Post-It is attached to something I'd forgotten I needed, but while I'm standing there, with my hand reaching out unerringly toward the shelf, my mind (often the slowest part of me to catch on in these situations) suddenly says, "Oh, yeah, I actually need that!"

At which point I know I've been guided by my incredibly kind and incredibly thoughtful angels.

So anyway . . . back to the article about echolocation in Discovery. If you have a chance to read it, you'll discover an amazing story about a man named Daniel Kish who lost his sight to retinoblastomas at the age of 13 months and then figured out on his own how to use echolocation to "see with his ears." What's really fascinating (apart from Kish's skill, dedication, and willingness to teach others how to see with their ears!) is that he and others with this skill use the visual processing area in the brain's occipital lobes to generate spatial imagery in their minds. They suss out echoes that most of us can't hear (because we haven't practised hard enough) and these echoes are processed not in the auditory centres of the brain, but in the visual cortex (which does process some sounds). Using comparative informative (between the sounds going out from their clicking tongues and the reflected sounds coming back from nearby objects), the brains of these individuals can construct highly detailed images of what's nearby. It takes proper training and lots of practice and commitment, but it can be done. Sighted people can learn how to echolocate, too, although the phenomenological experience may be different.

The process described in this article is very similar to what I do and how I do it. I don't click with my tongue, of course, but I seem to be able to "click" with an as-yet-to-be-determined type of brainwave. I get "quantum echoes" coming back from nearby persons-of-soul, and these are the echoes my brain processes and turns into words and imagery.

I've known since December 2004, when I had my brain scanned on three different days at the Amen Clinic in California, that the visual cortex of my brain lights up like a Christmas tree when I'm talking to Jesus, but my auditory cortex isn't really involved in the channelling process. I've also learned after 15 years of daily experience as a cataphatic mystic that when I'm awake and channelling, I don't really "see," yet I get black-and-white visual imagery with the words that come in from persons-of-soul, including Jesus. The words always come in clear as a bell -- the same as having a conversation with somebody whom my physical eyes can see.

This is a voluntary and learned process -- just as echolocation is a voluntary and learned process. It's a scientific process. And I had to be trained how to do it properly, just as Kish's students have to be trained. In a few people (such as Kish) it develops instinctively. But most people have to be trained.

Being a cataphatic mystic is a bit different from being a non-sighted person who's learning to echolocate. The process is more complex, and not many people are born to be full-fledged cataphatic mystics (which is as it should be -- the world only needs a few full-fledged mystics at any given time!)

But everybody is born with the brain-talent for intuition (a talent which, on rare occasions, such as during an intense emotional crisis, gets pushed more towards the mystical end of the spectrum, with actual sensory impressions coming through briefly from Spirit). And everybody can learn how to use their intuitive circuitry better than most people do. Some adults have so badly fried their intuitive circuitry that they can longer hear a damn thing from God/Spirit/Source/angels, though the potential is there -- just as the potential to echolocate is there for both sighted and non-sighted people. This potential can be developed with proper training, practice, and commitment. With the proper development of the brain's intuitive circuitry, anyone can strengthen their relationship with God (who's talking to us all the time, whether or not we consciously realize it.)

Here's a great quote from the article:

Kish's training curriculum differs from tradition by taking an immersive approach intended to activate environmental awareness. It's a tough-love approach with very little hand-holding. He encourages children to explore their home environment for themselves and discourages family members from interfering unless the child otherwise could be harmed.

OMG -- welcome to my life! I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read this quote. Tough-love is definitely the key.

All the best,

Jen

Edited for missing words.

Edited by canajan, eh?

Hi Jen,

I saw Daniel Kish many years ago when he was much younger using his talent riding a skateboard. Amazing. After seeing his skateboarding skills, i tried echolocation myself around the house which was already familiar territory but i guess i didn't have the patience to continue after a few crashes. :)

It is a most interesting analogy you make between sound waves (echolocation) and imagery and brain waves and visual or vocal imagery. From personal experience i don't doubt the connection and while there is much i do not understand, i have had some amazing experiences myself.. Thanks for sharing your personal story and the links.

Joseph

Thanks for your comments, Joseph and Soma. Soma, your comment that "we can use it or we can let our brain use us" is very true.

We have much to learn about the brain. It's my hope the church will begin to use neuroscientific findings in a more conscious way (rather than the traditional empirical -- and sometimes accidental -- way) to help shape effective spiritual practices for the third millennium.

As others have said on TCPC, God is the ulitmate scientist, so I'd like to think God would be smiling if we were to incorporate more neuroscience into our faith practices.

Jen

Yesterday, in the `weird but probably true`department, I found this link on the website of a major Canadian daily:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/real-life-version-of-star-trek-impulse-engines-that-could-get-us-to-moon-in-4-hours-actually-works-scientists-say

The story was originally filed by Sarah Knapton of the Telegraph. It`s about a British inventor who was ridiculed by mainstream scientists because his novel propulsion system appears to defy the law of conservation of momentum. NASA has been studying the drive and thinks it might actually work.

Science fiction often becomes science fact. But first people have to step out on a limb and take a risk. Christianity has had a role to play in scientific risk-taking, not just as an ``opposing obstacle`` against which to push, but also as a positive force in the lives of some individuals who pushed against the limits of known science because of their faith, not in spite of it.

I`ve been noticing lately that some Christians have bought into the idea that they have to choose between science and faith. They choose faith, but they do so with embarrassment and guilt, as if they themselves (and their choice to live with faith) are somehow personally responsible for past errors in science.

This is the same pattern of thinking that has led some Christians to stop believing in miracles.

Miracles aren`t non-scientific. Miracles are simply quantum physics combined with ordinary everyday Materialist physics. This isn`t to say that miracles aren`t miraculous, though. To the Heart, science is so breathtakingly beautiful that tears of joy always follow in the tracks of all those whizzing neutrinos.

God bless.

Edited by Realspiritik

The approach using scientific principles makes religion scientific and not dogmatic because to know oneself and the force beyond the mind is at the heart of science and all religions. Science can help us because it is the study and investigation into the opposing energies of God’s creation clarifying our values about ourselves and the environment in which we live. Everything happens for a reason, there are no mistakes so understanding science gives us the tools to reverse negative thoughts, grow out of our past and experience the pure energy in the supernatural. It does not need words to communicate because it is not religion; the experience of different energies has the power to heal, obstruct, harm, help and bring joy, happiness and humiliation. Energy is the essence of life so if we spent more time loving others instead of fighting the devil, the world would be a better place and the devil would not exist. We need to take responsibility for our energy and love the present moment as it reveals the Absolute spreading energy and love beyond all boundaries.

May the force be with you

Thanks for your thoughtful insights, Soma.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying the devil is something we've more or less constructed ourselves and if we approached our lives in a more loving way, we'd realize the devil is a "virtual construct," not a reality, and only has "power" in our minds when we feed the ancient archetypes of hatred and anger. If this is how you understand the devil, I'm with you 100%. Anakin Skywalker is truly wonderful example of how we can turn ourselves into the devil by insisting that fear, anger, hatred, vengeance, and obedience to the laws of status addiction are more important than Divine Love. Like Anakin, we all have the choice to seek redemption -- to choose differently and reclaim our true nature as loving children of God.

As Jesus once did.

Thanks for your thoughtful insights, Soma.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying the devil is something we've more or less constructed ourselves and if we approached our lives in a more loving way, we'd realize the devil is a "virtual construct," not a reality, and only has "power" in our minds when we feed the ancient archetypes of hatred and anger.

I like the way you put it Jen concerning the devil.

Also thanks for the interesting article. It does seem the first people do indeed have to step out on a limb to break through old barriers.

Joseph

I feel for those who have such hellish thoughts and project them on others when the universe is a never-ending medium of well-arranged relationships and interactions where we learn to love and develop into just being ourselves. We don’t have to wait to die to go to heaven because heaven is at this moment available to us in the same way as are all states of consciousness. The heaven within is timeless with endless possibilities and is always there; we only have to set it in motion starting at our level of reality by tuning into our stillness and stabilizing our vibrations The perfect happiness is being who we are in the present moment because we are already at the intensity of mindfulness that we are capable of undertaking and believing.