Is Facebook Replacing Discussion Forums

JosephM

After looking more closely at Progressive Christianity on Facebook, i see it has an enormous and faster growing base compared to forums such as this one which appear to be on the decline. It appears that Facebook entices more active members and is more friendly to the latest phone technology than discussion boards.

What do you see as the advantages or disadvantages when comparing the two? Our Facebook page can be seen HERE.

Joseph

For me, I find Facebook a much shallower forum. It doesn't lend itself to in-depth discussion like people get to participate in here, but rather allows one to post a quick opinion or point and then move on. It's a bit like talk-back radio where "everyone wants to express an opinion that nobody else wants to hear".

Also, having reviewed the PC Facebook page, I can't see how one would access the archives of topics that are available here on the Forum. There is such a library of information and topics discussed here that is simply not available on Facebook.

Perhaps Facebook grows quicker because of the convenience, but I doubt it is anywhere near as fulfilling or informative as this Messageboard.

Good input Paul. I wasn't able to find a specific topic either and i don't see it as fulfilling either. However i can't deny it is now more popular as far as number of users and activity than this forum.

Rom, :lol: I can't get it on my land line either.

Perhaps we can get some other comments from some Facebook users who have used both?

Joseph

The appeal of Facebook depends a lot on marketing and the willingness of people to follow said marketing. About a year ago I attended a lecture at a Tibetan center near here and the point of the lecture was "well, if you want to be a sheep it won't get you very far ... certainly not far into Buddhism, as such." It seemed like he was being too simplistic at the time but now I get it. Oh yes.

C. G. Jung was very clear on this point. Extraverts will follow popular trends and exhibit shallow thinking. Introverts are the opposite. Jung was critical of the Western emphasis on extraversion as it leaves no home for introverts. Standard Western marketing appeals to extraverts. The failure is in not providing a home for introverts which is a skill only introverts could possibly handle.