What Is A Question Worth To You?

minsocal

This is an issue that has haunted me since I was 12 years old, or so. A few years ago I came across a concept in the work of D. M. Schnarch dubbed "The Devils' Pact." It has to do with the fact that humans ask "convenient" questions in order to avoid those questions that are more difficult.

I'll start with this. The history of philosophy has produced no general agreement on any issue (that I know of). Philosophers do not even agree on a definition of "doubt".

Theology, not any better.

Thus the question. How do you decide what you value, and to what degree?

This is an issue that has haunted me since I was 12 years old, or so. A few years ago I came across a concept in the work of D. M. Schnarch dubbed "The Devils' Pact." It has to do with the fact that humans ask "convenient" questions in order to avoid those questions that are more difficult.

I'll start with this. The history of philosophy has produced no general agreement on any issue (that I know of). Philosophers do not even agree on a definition of "doubt".

I determine value and degree on a case by case basis.

For example, when I am attending a sporting event, I value camaraderie, fellowship and the spirit of competitiveness. However, when I am consoling a grieving friend, I value accumulated human wisdom, the shared experience of the loss of something / someone and human compassion and kindness.

I shudder to think of anyone who would adopt a "one-size-fits-all" notion of value.

NORM

While experience and genetic influence contribute to what i value and to what degree, i do not know exactly how i decide.

The interesting thing genetics (and evolution in general) is a reflection of the environment and experience itself is also very much the environment. Other things might be the way atoms and fundamental particles interact.

So "I" becomes an interesting pronoun.

Edited by romansh

I get confused in my brain a lot so I distill what I value down to LOVE and the degree is 100%.

It is said that philosophers think in circles and must be careful because they have no common sense. I feel in my biocomputer on Earth school I go into each experience as a lesson to learn. I am a teacher, but as a student I learned how to space out and so I look at that as a good thing. I feel question, koans, philosophy, science, sports, comedy, music ect can take me beyond the mind that can confuse.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the delay. I just went through an experience I will not forget for some time. Where am I connected? Good question, I think. My cat, a fellow mammal passed on today. We both "knew" the time was coming. How? You tell me.

So here is my question. My cat and I are both mammals and thus we should have some "connection" (if Darwin was right).

I'm not sure about this, but the "where" of connection seems to be difficult for many. But, I grew up on a farm, where "connection" is manifold.

Make sense?

I mean no offense, perhaps you will trust me on that. But, where does 100% rest and how does one maintain such a level? What does Progressive Christianity offer in pursuit of that goal?

I was raised in a Progressive mindset, and I know this has to be a very difficult question.

I think the Buddhist have the best commentary on rest. They accept suffering on the physical plane so relax into it so the suffering is minimized. I think Christianity says the body is suffering on the physical plane but in the soul there is no pain. Hinduism connects both with the bird or higher self watching the bird on the lower branch enjoying seeds and getting indigestion, but is only witnessing so from that perspective they witness the action in the higher consciousness, but don't suffer or are stimulated by the consequences. We are so lucky to have our physical forms to experience and learn, suffering is part of the lesson.

minsocal,

Sorry to hear about your cat.

I think Hebrews 4 speaks much about this 'rest'. Essentially in Christianity in general ...."For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works" . It seems to me it is maintained by a knowing and trust in that which sustains us, and is well able to finish the work in us that was in a sense started. It seems to me it is necessary to "die daily" to self and in doing so one associates more with as Soma says "the watcher" than the flesh that is seldom experiencing that rest. There is to me a deep rest that is found in that state.

Joseph

My apologies for the delay. I just went through an experience I will not forget for some time. Where am I connected? Good question, I think. My cat, a fellow mammal passed on today. We both "knew" the time was coming. How? You tell me.

So here is my question. My cat and I are both mammals and thus we should have some "connection" (if Darwin was right).

I'm not sure about this, but the "where" of connection seems to be difficult for many. But, I grew up on a farm, where "connection" is manifold.

Make sense?

Yes, both the Amish and Native Americans name and "bless" the animals they use for food and clothing.

NORM