The Marriage Of Science And Christianity

soma

Our science started with the Greeks where philosophy, religion and science were linked together to find the principle character, quality and cause of all things then we disconnected them. If the universe is a free, receptive, improving and an interconnected system then scientific laws are an ideal model for understanding the reliable and proven connections in reality. There will always be some features of the physical universe that the laws of nature cannot capture so we need the connections of philosophy, religion and science. The universe is not a self-enclose system, but an emergent, evolving system which endeavors to a motivation beyond itself. A spiritual foundation with a scientific connection to philosophy offers a balance of openness and intelligibility that can maintain a suitable environment for a personality to find its deepest potentialities. This post if on paper that you are reading in one perspective is a post, in another perception it is a collection of atoms and molecules before being viewed as a composition of mass or wood cellulose. I like to think of it as an arrangement of knowledge and intelligence. None of these positions destroys the soundness of the other viewpoints. They all approach this post from a different angle and they are all just as real as the other ones. It is completely normal to respect differences as a precaution against self-righteousness and getting it wrong. If a dilemma leads to an awareness of Eternity, follow that way; and if another approach appears that is different from the first and it works then follow it. It is good to change and be encouraged to expand to the present moment clear-sightedness. The following quote was attributed to Isaac Newton just before he died, “I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.” Albert Einstein expressed it in different words, “I believe in intuitions and inspirations...I sometimes feel that I am right. I do not know that I am.” Thomas Merton a Christian Mystic said the same thing in another way, “To be grateful is to recognize the Love of God in everything He has given us everything. Every breath we draw is a gift of His love, every moment of existence is a grace, for it brings with it immense graces from Him. Gratitude therefore takes nothing for granted, is never unresponsive, it is constantly awakening to new wonder and to praise of the goodness of God. For the grateful person knows that God is good, not by hearsay but by experience. And that is what makes all the difference.”

• Upvote 1

Excellent post, Soma

The Isaac Newton quote used to be my signature on the old, New York Times discussion board!

I think at one time, philosophy and theology informed science in the early stages, but now it should be reversed. Science should inform religion, because inherent within the scientific method is that "testing" against reality that many perspectives brings to religion.

The more mainstream religious institutions ignore scientific reality, the more distant and irrelevant they become in the minds of modern humanity.

NORM

Norm, thanks and I like Newton's quote too because I can relate to it. I am thinking of retiring from my job as a Math, Science, English and ESL teacher at an at Risk School. The unfortunate thing is I love the students and other teachers at the school. As an advocate for the students who are silent along with their parents I have been compelled to speak out at my school and in the district, Every bird has a different song, but the district doesn't see it that way and they want to teach from the top down and not from the students or listen to the teachers who have contact with them. Therefore, I am going to fly away and sing my song to others who also don't want to listen. This is an excerp from a book I am writing. Maybe, I will post different parts and I am open for comments good and bad. The title I am thinking of is "The Science of Christian Mysticism" I think I am quoting more scientist at this time than mystics. I am writing it for Chrisians who the majority are probably going to reject it and me, but I am use to it and grow from the experience. May Christians who are ready find the Divinity within themselves and realize that they can go beyond religion and communicate with the infinite brain or how I break it them as the Divine Intelligence, the Divinity within. The beginning of a journey is the first step towards the end, which is also right now in the present. We are always going home to a place we never left, the infinite. Thanks for the comment.

...Therefore, I am going to fly away and sing my song to others who also don't want to listen. This is an excerp from a book I am writing. Maybe, I will post different parts and I am open for comments good and bad. The title I am thinking of is "The Science of Christian Mysticism" I think I am quoting more scientist at this time than mystics. I am writing it for Chrisians who the majority are probably going to reject it and me, but I am use to it and grow from the experience. May Christians who are ready find the Divinity within themselves and realize that they can go beyond religion and communicate with the infinite brain or how I break it them as the Divine Intelligence, the Divinity within. The beginning of a journey is the first step towards the end, which is also right now in the present. We are always going home to a place we never left, the infinite. Thanks for the comment.

Sounds like a fantastic idea for a book, Soma! It's a shame about your teaching. I was very much influenced by teachers who challenged my thinking and encouraged me to leave my comfort zone.

Don't delay writing that book! I finally finished my first novel http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPV5BBI in April of this year. I'm now halfway through my second novel and a third of the way through a third! I am using Kindle Publishing, but there is a "traditional" publisher working with the manuscript of my first novel right now.

Good luck in your new venture.

NORM