Thought Provoking Movie

Inthedark

watched it!

very interesting, rather a lot to take in in one viewing. a few of the monologues stood out for me so i may revisit them.

also found this which might be worth looking at:

http://www.philfilms...du/1/waking.htm

I know what you mean, it takes a couple of viewings or more really. This one is also a very interesting movie you may enjoy called Mr Nobody. The premise is he's the last "mortal" human left on earth and he tries to remember aspects of his past to retell to a reporter whilst considering his life and ultimately coming to terms with his mortality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miPQLmKtRXQ

Regards

Paul

Wow, those are two very thought provoking films, thanks!

I watched most of "Waking Life" but didn't absorb it very well—might look at the full script later, which is on line. I did watch all of "Mr. Nobody" –one viewing hardly seems like enough-- fantastic cinematography, musical score and acting – Jared Leto was terrific. Both seem to be about multiple perspectives, with no ultimate answers to the questions they raise. "Waking Life" struck me as affirming existentialism more than any other philosophy it touched on, but that's only my first impression.

Seeing the main character of "Mr. Nobody" shift back and forth through time made me reflect on pivotal decisions in my own life, turning points when I could have gone in very different directions, a few times when I could have died, even a choice at age five that I still regret. Unlike the other film, this one has no reference to God, religion, or church (correct me if I'm mis-remembering). There is one heaven-like scene near the beginning, when Nemo is about to be born into the world, and has to choose his own parents…an angel supposedly makes us "forget" our prenatal existence. Other parts of the narration imply we are all at the mercy of entropy, string theory and the butterfly effect. The film asks us to consider - even if we knew the future, would it help us make choices? Are they all equally meaningful? (The story doesn't deal with choices in line of work, involvement with the larger world, or a spiritual dimension; only intimate and family relationships.) Parent-child love appears fraught with failure and pain, and friendship is not part of the picture; but the ending suggested that seeking true love—tenderness and commitment above all, in spite of all-- was the best choice in the long run, at least for the type of person Nemo represented.

Edited by rivanna

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend the movie "Lincoln" to PCs and non-PCs. This is one of the best movies I have seen in some time.

Not only is the very well made and acted, it deals with some serious moral and ethical issues. Probably the most interesting feature is the use of ignoble methods to achieve noble ends. Does the end justify the means? This story seems to suggest, yes.

George

I agree about “Lincoln” – can’t imagine anyone giving a more convincing portrayal of him than Daniel Day Lewis, and as you say the film raises the question of whether the end justifies the means…the backroom deals and arm twisting that aren't in school history books. There were several things about the civil war, and about Lincoln’s personal life, that I’d never known. A magnificent film.

Another one based on actual events that I really enjoyed, is “Argo” – Ben Affleck was excellent as actor and director. Great suspense, touches of humor, satisfying conclusion.

“Life of Pi” has stunning cinematography, amazing computer-generated images, especially in 3D - a fantastic epic of a 16 year old Indian boy surviving shipwreck. With the animals on the lifeboat you can’t help thinking of Noah, and Pi’s extreme suffering and anguished shouting to the sky is reminiscent of Job. Pi's background of Hinduism, Christianity, Islam and the Kabbalah is interwoven in a not too preachy way. Ang Lee gives us room for interpretation about faith vs reason, and the power of storytelling, but to me the beauty, wonder and terror of the natural world made the deepest impression.

Edited by rivanna

I highly recommend the movie "Lincoln" to PCs and non-PCs. This is one of the best movies I have seen in some time.

George

As opposed to "Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter" released recently. I'm not sure that one was particularly accurate about Lincoln's activities. :D

Mildly entertaining though.

• 1 year later...