What am I doing or thinking today

JosephM

(This may be a double post, Joseph. or maybe I posted it elsewhere and can't find it)

I spent last night and this morning regaining my center by reading what I had missed on this board. Sunday should have been a good time to drop into the ER and have them assure me that the tingling I was feeling in the left arm and leg was not serious - perhaps didn't meet the criteria for a stroke. 36 hours later they released me. I am OK. All the tests agree that if it was a TIA there was no permanent effect and no obvious cause.

Reading "The Schack" connected me with my deceased daughter and left me tearful and vulnerable. Metaphorically slapping a doctor upside his head to remind him that the patient is part of the collaborative team that is seeking health and wholeness brought to mind all those days, weeks and even months in hospital with Annie learning how necessary it is to advocate continually for the patient to achieve the best possible outcome. It is a struggle and I was emotional because I was now the patient having to fight for the best possible care - and I was there only for tests.

Dutch

• 3 weeks later...

About ten days ago, I had some nasty cells removed from my nose, but the chunk they removed is healing pretty well, and is almost filled in. This is my second experience with cancer, and the first was over ten years ago. Perhaps with a little luck I won't have another such experience for another ten years or so.

I have not been online in a few weeks. My father went in to the hospital on August 24 with pneumonia and bleeding gums. He died on September 2 from bone marrow cancer and other complications. It has been a very difficult few weeks. I will post concerning the spiritual journey that I have been on through this experience, and on being present for my father's transcendance, but that will have to wait until I have a little more free time. I look forward to catching up on the discussion I have missed lately. Until then, may God bless your day.

Edited by Jake

Jake,

I missed your presence. Yes, it is a most difficult time for most and at the same time a most natural event. It seems good to me that you were able to be with him. I also lost both my Mom and Step-Dad over the past 2 years. My Mom with Alzheimer's and Leukemia was a long time of both sorrow and growth for all in the family. My Step-Dad died more suddenly in my arms and I was also present at the moment of my mothers last breath. The experience can be very transformative for those left behind and I am looking forward to hearing your experiences through this trying time.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

• 3 months later...

I have been working my way through a study of the 8 points, specifically how I feel about them, what my thoughts and interpretations of each may be. I was trying to get through one a day, however, I will have to take a pass on Point 3 today. I have a day of appointments at the VA medical center. Hopefully nothing serious, some lab work done this morning. Taking a break for some lunch (since i have been fasting since yesterday). I have the mental health appointment later, then a consult with my primary. It is strange for me after 13 years of avoidance, to be back in the system with the VA again, but I guess it is better than no health care.

Looking forward to getting back to my 8 Point study. Next topic, Point 3, the Eucharist. This one will require a bit of contemplation.

• 3 months later...

Just returned to manse from a St. Patrick's Day party at my church and met two new folks from town who are into real estate. They've traveled a lot as have I, so we were having a good time sharing tales and mishaps. I actually stayed until the end of the dinner which I rarely do. Even almost felt guilty for having a good time. But not quite.

Now checking e-mails and wondering if I'm going to do any work on Palm Sunday liturgies tonite.

Probably not

Lamia

• 1 month later...

This is a bit of a departure from the soul searching and personal journeys, but I thought it might be helpful to have some idea of how people here view current events in the US and elsewhere. If you don’t mind my asking - which of these issues seems most pressing to you at this point? Financial regulations, the energy bill / environment, implementing health care reform, employment, immigration laws, gun control, the Middle East, terrorism? gay rights, other concerns?

On a related note—why aren’t more women posting on this progressive Christian forum-- surely that can’t be too much “audacity of hope” :-)

Edited by rivanna

• 1 month later...

Nivanna, you are right it would be nice to have a stronger female voice. I am concerned with all those issues, but will be leaving every thought behind as I go to my son's graduation from pharmacy school. It will be 4 days devoted to my sons and wife. This is a retreat where I will see and serve the Divine in them.

Good question Karen,

The women one that is. When i attended church on a most regular basis (three times a week and more) i found that there were always more women than men at the extra activities especially prayer meetings. At the prayer meetings i almost felt out of place at times. I wonder if that was just common to churches i attended or if others had experienced it the other way around?

On this board, you are correct it seems to be dominated by men. I hope that will change and as Admin will be addressing that issue. I would be interested in the reasoning of others why.

As far as current events, i am made aware of them more than i prefer. Too much negativity seems to be reported in the news. They all have a different level of importance to different people with no one standing out to me. There are many problems in the world today and i do what i can where i can have an effect according to the power that is placed in my hands to do so. However, i cannot allow what i have no control over to change to trouble my heart. Therefore i remain a bit detached. For this, i have been labeled at times apathetic or indifferent. This is mainly because of my words. In reality, my actions leave me with a clear conscience and no regrets.

Soma, have a great time with your kids.

Joseph

Guest billmc

Is it because men are more confrontational?

Men? Confrontational? I challenge that notion! :D

If we don't get more women participating soon, I'll have to resort to dressing in drag and fishnet stockings when posting here...and it won't be pretty. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it is ok if I change the subject. Grammawombat and I just returned from two weeks away. During that time we had a reception to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Our three kids, their spouses, and our eight grandchildren were there--part of a group of 75 people who shared the experience with us. The kids (all in their 40s) said some wonderful and touching things. At times, there was hardly a dry eye in the house. I think it was as satisfying an experience for everyone there as is was for Gramma and me.

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving this morning for family reunion which focuses on the grandchildren of my mothers great grand father Morten Larsen Mortensen. 75 of us will gather at my sister's ranch 17 miles up the Elk River from Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It may be the last time for a long time Diane and I and our two children and their spouse/beau will be in the same place at the same time.

Take Care

Dutch

Dutch, have a great trip. I am sure many thoughts will pass through you.

I just returned from San Francisco where I took my son and my wife's niece to the play Peter Pan. I saw it in the 70,s in London, but now it is even more creative with all the new technology. My son is doing a residency at the hospital there and has just become independent from me financially. I am really impressed how he has grown and evolved. When I am with him now, I observe and witness God's work through him. He is not interested in spirituality at this time, but I see he is developing his consciousness so we just hang out. It is not the time to talk about such things at this time, but I still enjoy him spiritually.

soma,

Thanks. Haven't seen the play love S.F. My son was born at the SF hospital

Diane and I had a good time driving up and back. No, we won't ever share living quarters again. Our encounters help me learn to enjoy what happens today without making it mean anything.

The Reunion was wonderful. No thunderstorms to ruin an afternoon. So many encounters. From my cousin the Wycliffe Bible Translator - they typically translate 25% of the old and 75% of the new. From my cousin the history professor - in the 800s there was a word for the mistress of the priest in the vernacular. Now why would they need such a word :lol: ?

Any one ever seen a Sky Lantern?

We used these as a way to remember deceased members of family. Wonderful. Watched them float on the breeze until they were out of sight. Not sure how it would work in the city.

http://skylanterns.bigfireworks.com/

Dutch

• 2 weeks later...

August 3rd 2010

•  
  • Helped my daughter, my roommate, pack her truck for her move to Helena, Montana, with her Prince Charming.
  • Signed the Short Sale Acceptance letter; the house will be out of my hands by August 27th.
  • Acknowledged to Diane that our relationship is over (she has a partner) and we should move toward legalizing the Dissolution of our marriage.

In late September I will move to an apartment across town and much closer to work.

Dutch

Best of luck with the move Dutch and i assume you are happy to put everything behind you. I'll be heading to Memphis for a week or so this Monday. Heat here has been blistering. Hoping Memphis is an improvement but will take whatever is. Going to the Elvis impersonator semi-finals with RV friends. Never been to Memphis. Got to check out their barbecue. smile.gif

Joseph

"Going to the Elvis impersonator semi-finals in Memphis..."

does this mean you're one of the contestants? laugh.gif

sounds like fun.

Thank ya, thank ya very much! biggrin.gif

No, first time for me. Wasn't a real Elvis fan in the 60's. Went more with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin type singing to name a couple back then. At least i could understand their words... laugh.gif Have the same problem with some modern music...

• 3 months later...