The "feast": Eucharist, Or More?

echalon

Acts 17:22+

Don't have a Bible but the passage is about Paul in Athen talking about the unknown God. Not only does he use the altar to the Unknown God he quotes two different Greek authors. Even though Paul may have had no intention of syncretism it would be a likely outcome when these cultural references are used as a way attracting a stranger's thought.

I think syncretism can be unintentional in some instances and it can also be intentionally tolerating the more trivial aspects of another religion while focusing on the essential elements of one's own religion.

Or, it can just be intentionally pragmatic - What is the best way to win over these hearts and minds?

George

Friends,

While I can’t speak for Paul’s intentions, it does seem likely to me that he and his supporters were intent on “winning” those of other religious persuasions to his version of the gospel of Jesus. Perhaps we’ll continue discussion regarding the syncretism involved.

For those who haven’t had the inclination to fully read UP 179, I’d like to add a couple of follow up quotes to those I previously posted on this thread. This goes back to Jesus’ initiation of “the new Passover” at the Last Supper:

179:5.7 … "When you do these things, recall the life I have lived on earth among you and rejoice that I am to continue to live on earth with you and to serve through you…”

179:5.8 And this mighty occasion took place in the upper chamber of a friend. There was nothing of sacred form or of ceremonial consecration about either the supper or the building. The remembrance supper was established without ecclesiastical sanction.

179:5.9 When Jesus had thus established the supper of the remembrance, he said to the twelve: "And as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me. And when you do remember me, first look back upon my life in the flesh, recall that I was once with you, and then, by faith, discern that you shall all some time sup with me in the Father's eternal kingdom. This is the new Passover which I leave with you, even the memory of my bestowal life, the word of eternal truth; and of my love for you, the outpouring of my Spirit of Truth upon all flesh."

These words serve to present a defining focus for the value of “the new sacrament of remembrance”. His bestowal life was indeed the living Word (Bread) of God, the eternal truth, actually made flesh. The outpouring of his Spirit of Truth (Wine) upon all men is the enactment of his love. In partaking the sacrament (formally or informally, individually or in a group) - our symbolic rendezvous with Christ - we are simply honoring his bestowal life and being grateful for his loving presence. That’s my interpretation, anyway…

In good spirit,

Brent

Archived