Charter For Compassion - Nov. 12!

AllInTheNameOfProgress

I didn't know if you were aware of this movement, started by Karen Armstrong.

The charter for Compassion will be unveiled Nov. 12.

http://charterforcompassion.org/

A friend I've made on this forum, Bill, says he'd like the PC movement to include folks who don't identify or relate to Christianity. I like the inter-faith attempt here!

Here's a video about it that's pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/CharterforCompassion

How could PCs support this?

Janet

Janet,

I didn't know if you were aware or not but Karen Armstrong is an honorary advisor at TCPC.org and her books are listed there.

Both those links are good to post here. That first is a good link to post under the Resources events section so other PC's or anyone for that matter can join in on that day. You can also post it to the Calender function Tab and when it comes up, a reminder will show on the bottom of the main discussion board page. Those functions are a way you personally can contribute to help get the word out to others here and daily guests who visit. Event posting such as this one is needed here by members.

Thanks,

JosephM (as Admin)

Karen Armstrong’s presentation has made an impression on me. I agree that all religion ought to be begin with compassion as its central reality, its primal truth. What I am seeing in comparative religions and in my own contemplation of their teachings is that love is the fundamental principle of the universe. I'd like to endorse this event too, and I'll talk to my pastor about it when I get the chance.

I'm thinking about trying to get the kids at a local disadvantaged school to make artwork on the theme "Treat Others How You Want to Be Treated" and then turn that into gifts (coffee mugs, necklaces, etc) to have at an alternative gift fair that would support after school enrichment and music and sports scholarships for the kids.

Now I just need to work on donations of the art gift supplies. Does anyone have any connections?

Janet,

It’s great that you’re involved with outreach like helping the homeless, and your idea for kids doing a creative project. These are the kinds of things that really make a difference in the world. I don’t have any connections myself but some of the artists in the gallery where I work buy supplies from Joe’sArt and Dick Blick --maybe this link could lead to something

kidsart

• 2 weeks later...

I just found a friend who would give me $150 in matching donations to buy coffee mugs with paper inserts the kids could draw on. I had to get friends and family to donate the $150 to be matched. I have some very generous friends. Anything beyond the money I spend on mugs will go toward the after school programs. On Nov. 22, we'll have the mugs at an alternative giving fair at my church and hopefully raise a ton of money to help Putnam school. I'm thinking about holding the alternative giving fair at my home and asking neighbors to help, too. The Charter for Compassion is about asking us to step out of the comfort zones of our churches and uniting with anyone who shares the roots of compassion to make a real difference in the world.

My church has been showing Karen's presentation for the last few Sundays and I know they are gearing up to respond to the call and Charter For Compassion. Having just joined, I don't know everything that is going on, but I do know they are do surveys to see what talents, skills, and gifts people have so we can help people get plugged in where they can serve.

One of the things that really excites me about this is the more-than-ecumenical appeal of the charter. It is open to all faiths (not just Christian) as well as people that have no particular faith to come together and work for a more compassionate world.

Down through history, there have been many groups and sects that have attempted to live out God's kingdom on earth. These groups have taught us some valuable lessons, especially through their failures. But I'm hoping that the call to compassionate, first and foremost, will help us find our way in a time in human history when we are prone to give in to despair or self-destruction. We can make this world better and we need to - not just for us, but for our children.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the day! You can download a pdf of the charter and sign up online to affirm it. There is also a new, inspirational video. At the time of writing there were already 1059 affirmers. You can publicize events that celebrate the release of the charter. I just gave a news tip to my local paper.

Check it out!

www.charterforcompassion.org

Archived