Denomination/congregation Poll

tinythinker

Denomination/Congregation Poll  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What/where are we inviting others to?

Let's see...

I'm a UU right now, but don't find it very spiritually satisfying, so when I move next fall I'll look around a bit...I've already looked into the UCC church where I'm going, it looks good :)

I'm a UU right now, but don't find it very spiritually satisfying, so when I move next fall I'll look around a bit...I've already looked into the UCC church where I'm going, it looks good :)

I've tried UU a couple of times as well. You almost certainly already noticed, but I brought up UUism/the UUA in a new thread on the Debate and Dialogue forum. I must agree with the reply that suggested the post was too long, but for brevity's sake I also have a blog entry on my hopes and concerns regarding UUism. I have a high regard for the UUs I know, but often it just seems something vital is not quite "right" for me in the actual services. But hey, if it helps to spiritually nourish others, then more power to them!

:)

I've tried UU a couple of times as well. You almost certainly already noticed, but I brought up UUism/the UUA in a new thread on the Debate and Dialogue forum. I must agree with the reply that suggested the post was too long, but for brevity's sake I also have a blog entry on my hopes and concerns regarding UUism. I have a high regard for the UUs I know, but often it just seems something vital is not quite "right" for me in the actual services. But hey, if it helps to spiritually nourish others, then more power to them!

:)

UU has been my only real spiritual community during my life (I don't think my mother taking me to a few Quaker and Congregationalist services when I was 5 really counts), so I have great respect for it, but at the same time, I find myself ready to move on. I have heard it remarked (sometimes in frustration) by other UUs that UUism is for many people a "stopping point" along the way, rather than their final destination. (I think I saw a statistic somewhere that the average length of a membership in a UU church was 7 years, but I may be confusing that with the current average duration of US marriages; the point is, it was only a few years.) This makes sense to me. I think many come to UU because they feel they have nowhere else to go; that was my experience, and it was a great "intro" to having a spiritual community. But then I think many also leave because the ambiguity loses its comfort and begins to be irritating. I want to hear to word "God" spoken in church occasionally! (Some UU churches do speak of Him often, of course, but mine doesn't; it tends more to a vague sort of spirituality rather than either solid theism or atheism.) So, I'm ready to move on. But I agree that if UU suits you, more power to you! It's just not for me anymore.

I've read about half of your post on the other thread so far, am hoping to finish it tonight :)

Yes, I've been hearing a lot about UCC (and not just because of the Rev Wright conflaguration in the news), including (ironically enough) from some UUs. I am going to have to move again sometime between mid-June and mid-July, and there are two UCC and one UU church in the area general area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been Presbyterian most of my adult life, and was a very active lay person for many years. I have almost always belonged to congregations that were politically liberal, and my present affiliation is with such a congregation. My theology, such as it is, is less conventional that most of my fellow congregants, but I still find the language of Christianity so rich in metaphor that it is necessary for helping me discover who I am and what is of value to me.

Archived